• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy exchange gone bad? sort of

I used to work at best buy up until about a month ago at customer service, and I was told my my senior that if a customer had a complaint about service and called Corporate at 1-888-Best-Buy and complain. Tell them that you were given a defective phone and the manager said that it wasnt. Also do not snap the droid in 2 if the GSBTP has accidental in it spill milk on it. Milk will rot and be considered a bio hazard so then they will give you a new one instead of a rapid exchange or service

Upvote 0
I also learned the hard way with the Droid to never buy a phone from Best Buy. I clearly clearly had a defective phone and they gave me a hard time. They would NOT exchange no matter how much I pleaded my case. I eventually just returned the phone, walked across the street and bought it at Verizon.

Best Buy is really stingy when it comes to cell phones and they won't exchange them.

If that's the case, then it's a regional (or personal) thing - when I switched back to Verizon in July 2008 after three-plus years on AT&T, I did so a Best Buy in Saratoga Springs, NY, and I got an LG Voyager. Six days later, while I was listening to MP3s on it and tuning up my car, I accidentally hit it with a wrench and sent it flying onto the concrete garage floor. When I picked it up, I was mortified to see that the screen had a huge crack running the full length of the outside touch screen and the touch screen itself was non-functioning. I took it back to Best Buy, getting there about five minutes before they closed on a Sunday night, and the BB Mobile Manager took the time to talk to me, explaining to me that because I didn't have the Black Tie Warranty, he wasn't supposed to give me a new phone. While he was telling me this, he was unboxing another brand-new Voyager and setting it up for me. He recommended that I get the Black Tie Warranty for $7/month, but that if I had any other problems, to come in and ask for him by name and he would take care of me, regardless of whether or not I got it. Also, in September of 2008, I took my fully functioning black Voyager to the same Best Buy and swapped it out for a titanium one, just because I liked the color better.

So not all BBs are created equal, and generalizing them all as bad is a disservice to both Best Buy and to you.

Upvote 0
off the topic of phones but on the topic of best buy. i'd been a member of their "reward zone" for a little over 3 years. you get a point for every dollar spent, and at 250 you get a 5 dollar certificate, at 500 you get a 10 dollar certificate.
this past cycle i had gathered 496 points, and was waiting for one more purchase to clear before i would have gotten my 10 dollar certificate. it was at this point that they decided to issue certificates and then dump the remaining points. i guess they do this every year. i.o.w. your points are only valid from january 1st to december 31st and then they issue certificates and dump any remaining points. of course they dont do this on january 1st, they wait til the middle of february, but your points stop counting towards your certificates on december 31st. apparently they sent out an e-mail stating this, which i never received.
as i said i was waiting for one more purchase to clear before getting to 500, from 496. this purchase was made january 6th, so according to their new policy, which the ghost email notified me of, they issued me a 5 dollar certificate for the first 250 points, and then dumped the 246 points since it wasnt enough to get another 5 dollar certificate. they then cleared my purchase from january 6th, which was almost 50 dollars.
i sent them an e-mail asking about this, and the rep replied to me about this policy of dumping the points yearly. i replied back about how if i signed up for their reward zone on december 31st, and had made a 249 dollar purchase, and then went on january 1st and made a 10 dollar purchase, i'd be stuck with a point balance of 10. and they replied by sending me a link to their points policy.
i sent them another e-mail stating that i didnt find this fair, that it should go by the year anniversary of whenever you signed up, and that would be fair, and also re-stating that i never received the e-mail about the change in the point policy. and again they just sent me an e-mail stating the points policy.
getting ticked off, i sent them an e-mail stating that the last purchase on my reward zone account would be my final purchase in any best buy EVER. and went back a few days later to check my points balance, and all my points were gone, and so was my 5 dollar certificate(that didnt matter to me, as i had already made up my mind that i was never shopping at best buy again) but if i was just bluffing about it would have severely ticked me off.
this was after going into the store here, and being accused of shady business. apparently their stockers do not know how to pay attention to shelf labels and just place stuff wherever. when we called their attention to this, we got accused of moving the shelf label to try to get a deal. and they also told us that as long as the shelf label is anywhere near the product, thats the price that it is, regardless if there's another price label directly under the product.

Upvote 0
I know how you feel, I took my Droid back to Bestbuy within my time frame becuase the hinge was loose as well... Maybe BestBuy buys the defects?? Anyway, when I went to return it they gave me the run-around as well telling me there was nothing wrong with it, I just wasn't used to using such an advanced device, it takes time to break it in, etc.... Thats when I pulled out my Verizon Employee badge and told them I'm a technician, not some teenager with their first blackberry. They didnt hassle me after that. Why did I go to bestbuy if I'm an employee you're wondering, I have 6 lines and employees can only have 5 on an employee account, it was the 1 line on my consumer account and bestbuy has instant rebates. LoL

Upvote 0
well I did end up going to another best buy to get another phone back in december i think. I told them that every time I called people it would just shut off in the middle of a call. They didnt ask any questions. I slipped in that I thought it was a little wobbly too and asked to check out a few of their phones, and the lady told me the same thing, theyll all get wobbly sooner or later, but she did show me multiple phones and let me hold them. I didn't want to spend too much time "pinching" and what not to see which ones were clicky, but I found one that seemed sturdy enough and just got it. I kept my same sd card. Now i sit here with my droid and it has gotten loose. When i grab my phone it slides ever so easily. It bugs me but what am i going to do about it? I also took off the back plastic stuff from the back of the screen so that could be a reason. All I know is my very first droid i got on launch day was the most sturdiest. And NOW my sister just got one 2 months ago from a verizon store where I added her to my line, and hers has all KINDS of differences than mine. Her phone is sturdy and TIGHT. Doesnt budge or slide or click at all when u grab it. Also her screen has much more color than mine does...
This is getting way passed obsessed, and my sister has already told me im psycho..
But then I actually have been having trouble sending calls. And my music app CONSTANTLY starts a party shuffle every single time i open it.
I just wish I could somehow get another droid. I still pay for that black tie program but I think they told me after 2 exchanges they have to send it in for repairs or something.

Upvote 0
When did you buy it originally, are your 30 days already up? You said you have the BLack Tie protection right? I'm just wondering if they'll give you a brand new one or a Certified Like New... I dont see how they would have any certified like news. Best Buy used to be the one Authorized Resller I'd recommend to anyone, now I tell anyone who asks to stay away from an authorized reseller like the plague.

Upvote 0
I work for Best Buy Mobile. Your phone will be sent to our repair company, Touchstone Wireless, if they can fix it they will and return it to the store it was sent from. If they deem it is beyond repair, we will give you a new one from the store.

And for us "selling used product," we don't. Every time a phone is returned to us, it is shipped back to the company we purchased it from. It is not possible for our inventory system to deal with used phones being registered as new. Inventory counts would be off and that raises all sorts of red flags.

Upvote 0
A word to anyone with a creaky slider where it clicks down when you hit one of the corners of the screen. I think we can fix this with the same fix we used on the g1. A piece of felt on the back of the screen should fill the gap and make it not click. I don't have access to a piece of felt at this time so i can't try it but if anyone wants to try it then post your results here

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones