• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best buy now accepting pre orders!

anybody know the out-the-door price for Best buy in CA? i was under the impression that in CA we are taxed on the full MSRP of $5xx so in the Bay Area that is close to $100 of tax for two phones...can somebody confirm or deny this? thanks

As far as my experience has been, Best Buy charges on the cost after all the rebates. At least, that's what they did with my Touch Pro a couple years ago.

That's absolutely ridiculous if they were to charge tax off the full MSRP. That'd be like having a product on sale, but charging tax based on full MSRP. Just wouldn't make sense at all.

Upvote 0
As far as my experience has been, Best Buy charges on the cost after all the rebates. At least, that's what they did with my Touch Pro a couple years ago.

That's absolutely ridiculous if they were to charge tax off the full MSRP. That'd be like having a product on sale, but charging tax based on full MSRP. Just wouldn't make sense at all.

the verizon store i called in the bay area, ca said that's what they were doing with the incredible so i dunno. hopefully that's not the case here but i wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Upvote 0
Isn't legal a synonym for kosher? Lol. I am surprised I was number 7 on the list, granted it was a little late in the evening, but oh well... I may end up being sick on June 4, i can feel a stomach virus coming already... :p

Close. It's a synonym for legitimate (in slang usage, which is applicable in this case).

I was number 7 too! Good number!...hahaha. They just better not try to charge me tax on the full retail price. I'll raise hell in that place if they try to pull that.

Upvote 0
I was fifth on the list late afternoon. Sprint didn't do a good job of making an event out of this. Why wasn't it done out of their stores first, with fanfare, commercials, etc. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't know anything about pre-ordering.

Best Buy said it would be 199, and that I could get any deal on rate plan, like being a member of a credit union that I could get from the Sprint Store. If I find out differently, I will use the $50 card to buy something else at Bet Buy.

I'm happy, but Sprint sure is horrible at marketing.

Upvote 0
anybody know the out-the-door price for Best buy in CA? i was under the impression that in CA we are taxed on the full MSRP of $5xx so in the Bay Area that is close to $100 of tax for two phones...can somebody confirm or deny this? thanks

I am from L.A. and I can confirm that the state assembly a few years ago passed a bill to require sales tax be charged for the full retail price, not the discounted price. It sucks!! One of the nice things about going to school up here in Eugene is that there's no sales tax in Oregon (yet!) If I were you, or anyone in California - and a few other states that have this tax law, I'd buy from a Sprint store, NOT BB or RS.

Upvote 0
I pre ordered at bb this morning. i told the guy that i got a email from sprint stating the out of contract price was 449. he told me to bring the email in when i pick up my phone and they will match the price. after all best buy has the lowest price guarantee.

i will call my bb in the morning and ask them if they would price match the sprint email. that would be amazing. the reason i am going to pay the extra with best buy is because i am in the army and cannot be waiting in line at a sprint store at 5am just wont work at all. and i need this phone day one. however i think i may call rs tomorrow and ask what they want full price.

Upvote 0
Somebody forgot to change the fine print wording from the Incredible Flyer!

I also got charged tax on my pre-order/gift card today. The total was $54.13, but I got a gift card for $50.00. I'll have to make sure I get my $4.13 back! :)

They didn't make an appt. or tell me they would call to schedule, so I'm not sure how that will work.

I might stop by the store June 3rd about 30 minutes before they close to see if they'll sell it to me early (it's on my way to work that night). And then I get off work at 630a June 4th, so depending on how BB handles it I might be driving to Sprint stores to get it as early as possible.

(Bored at work..........)

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0
Somebody forgot to change the fine print wording from the Incredible Flyer!

I also got charged tax on my pre-order/gift card today. The total was $54.13, but I got a gift card for $50.00. I'll have to make sure I get my $4.13 back! :)

They didn't make an appt. or tell me they would call to schedule, so I'm not sure how that will work.

I might stop by the store June 3rd about 30 minutes before they close to see if they'll sell it to me early (it's on my way to work that night). And then I get off work at 630a June 4th, so depending on how BB handles it I might be driving to Sprint stores to get it as early as possible.

(Bored at work..........)

Just look at my post in the main thread. I broke it down on there, but the tax on the gift card is easy to manage, as long as you make sure that they apply the gift card to the $199.99, prior to factoring in the tax for the balance.

In other words, if they calculate tax on $149.99, then it'll be fine.

The only thing I don't know is about activation fees. I can't remember if Best Buy charges for activation fees or not.

Upvote 0
Can someone clarify, does BB charge activation fees or any sort of other fees aside from the price of the actual phone itself?
BB does not charge the activation fee, sprint does, it goes on your next bill after you get the phone, BUT you can all sprint and get them to waive the fee after you buy it alot of times.

Upvote 0
BB does not charge the activation fee, sprint does, it goes on your next bill after you get the phone, BUT you can all sprint and get them to waive the fee after you buy it alot of times.

That's rigt. Also, keep in mind that Sprint Premier customers should automatically have their activation/upgrade fees waived. It's part of the 'perks' for being S|P

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
That's rigt. Also, keep in mind that Sprint Premier customers should automatically have their activation/upgrade fees waived. It's part of the 'perks' for being S|P

Oh, wow, that's good to know. I didn't realize that activation and upgrade fees are waived for Sprint Premier customers. Thanks for the heads-up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones