• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Calendars w/SMS

I use Calengoo for my calendar, it has the option to send SMS. I just tested it and it didn't work. I've never used it before so can't say if it ever worked but bet that since it's not an option on Google it may be a defunct choice now.

If you are looking for a general reminder type thing I can't recommend Calendar Snooze enough. Great app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you. I have used reminders via SMS & Popup with all my calendar events. Usually a SMS the day before & another 1 hour before plus a popup as a reminder for travel time. Using different notification sounds just made things easier & the SMS is just something I never ignored. Looks like I'm going to be revamping my reminders. Will check out Calendar Snooze. :)

Upvote 0
No, you're not misunderstanding functionality, just how I was using the SMS. I just need to change the way I use it. I used both the SMS & the notification feature (one as a "hey, don't forget this is today/tomorrow" & one that was just a reminder allowing time to get from point A to point B. The SMS would automatically wakeup my phone & the different notification tones helped me know what was going on without having to turn on, unlock my phone. So, now, I've installed another app that wakes up my phone & have had to go into all my calendar items & change each reminder/alert individually. A hassle I didn't have before. Less security for me to remember appointments.

Upvote 0
Google got rid of SMS reminders for calendar events, but they didn't get rid of two other features that can be combined to send you SMS for calendar events:
1 - Notification of calendar events by gmail
2 - Forwarding of selected gmails to you phone as SMS automatically using a filter (which you set up on your pc)

Step 1 is done from the same pulldown menu on pc google calendar appointment editor that you used to select SMS from.
Step 2 is described here:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/auto-forward-important-email-to-your-phone-as-a-text-message/

What you'll have to do is to put a special keyword trigger (like MYSMS) into your calendar appointment description (the description is included in the reminder gmail) and use that same keyword to define the filter for which gmails get forwarded to SMS.

By the way, that's not all that Gmail automatic filters are good for. I use them to apply labels automatically certain messages (and also to move some out of the inbox). Important e-mails stay in the inbox but have a particular bright color chosen to draw attention (can define different color for each label). The unimportant e-mails get removed from inbox, butt still available to view at the label. That helps me organize my email even before I've read it.

I also have every single work email forwarded to my personal Gmail from my work outlook account. A filter removes all these from my inbox and stuffs them in a label so I have easy access to read my work email direct from Gmail (open the label), without cluttering my inbox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, you're not misunderstanding functionality, just how I was using the SMS. I just need to change the way I use it. I used both the SMS & the notification feature (one as a "hey, don't forget this is today/tomorrow" & one that was just a reminder allowing time to get from point A to point B. The SMS would automatically wakeup my phone & the different notification tones helped me know what was going on without having to turn on, unlock my phone. So, now, I've installed another app that wakes up my phone & have had to go into all my calendar items & change each reminder/alert individually. A hassle I didn't have before. Less security for me to remember appointments.
I don't know what phone you are using, but for all calendar apps I've encountered, they have notification alerts that wake up the phone for every event. The Samsung stock calendar even has a full screen notification.

An email will also wake up the phone, and Google Calendar has email notifications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones