• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best camera app?

we've been working for the past year on a new camera app called Pecan. it's going to go live in android marketplace in the next week or two (by end of april 2011) and i'd love to hear any feedback from users who are looking for new camera apps.

i'll send a message to the forum when the app is live, but in the meanwhile you can see some screenshots on our website, here: http://projectpecan.com

thanks!
chief pecan - chief (at) projectpecan.com
There are a few things I'd like to see in there that I haven't found in other camera apps. Set the default picture folder (PhotoSnap just lets you name a custom sub-folder in its unchangable default directory). Some sort of sync with DropBox would be nice. Right now I use DropBox and DropSpace to sync pictures from my camera folder to a DropBox folder.

I still have to find a picture viewer that lets me set the scanned folders. Default Gallery on my HTC TB doesn't let me.

Upvote 0
Camera Advance Lite is very very nice... shoots up to 3.2MB before you need the $2.99 pay version. The controls seem very natural and more like that of a better camera.

Big Camera Button Lite is nice when having to take a backwards shot so that you can easily find the button as it becomes the whole screen.

Upvote 0
I really like pudding camera. The UI is nice and it takes great photos. You have the options of using different camaras and different film. The one downside is the app is written in Korean. It doesn't affect it too much since the camara/film selector is a gui. It also doesn't compress the pictures.

Little Photo is also pretty nice.

Upvote 0
I would really love to see a camera app dedicated to taking pictures of friends whilst out at night. The stock camera on my Desire HD is disgraceful at this, no matter what settings I use, due to lack of shutter speed control. All pictures in bars, nightclubs, restaurants, etc are overexposed and blurred. Ridiculous.

The Nightclub camera should have the following features:

LED on before taking the picture to allow shot composition and focus.

Shutter speed, iso and white balance settings optimised for close, moving subjects with flash.

Press to focus, take picture on release.

Dedicated self portrait shutter button for phones without front facing cameras, which recognises faces, focuses and takes the shot automatically.

If a camera exists with any of these features, I'd love to know about it!

Upvote 0
hi everyone,

since our post here about Pecan, a smart new camera app for Android, more than 200 forum readers subscribed to our private beta. that's just awesome! we didn't imagine we'd get so much traffic from AndroidForums!

i just wanted to update that we're now in full swing and have shared the private beta with the first 50 persons.

if you're reading this and fancy taking our app for a ride and providing valuable feedback, be sure to visit us at projectpecan.com

thanks!
chief pecan - chief (at) projectpecan.com

Upvote 0
I would really love to see a camera app dedicated to taking pictures of friends whilst out at night. The stock camera on my Desire HD is disgraceful at this, no matter what settings I use, due to lack of shutter speed control. All pictures in bars, nightclubs, restaurants, etc are overexposed and blurred. Ridiculous.

The Nightclub camera should have the following features:

LED on before taking the picture to allow shot composition and focus.

Shutter speed, iso and white balance settings optimised for close, moving subjects with flash.

Press to focus, take picture on release.

Dedicated self portrait shutter button for phones without front facing cameras, which recognises faces, focuses and takes the shot automatically.

If a camera exists with any of these features, I'd love to know about it!

An app with more control could help, but this is basically a limitation of phone cameras. The lens is pretty small and can't get all that much light in resulting in either blurry or dark images in low-light situations.

Upvote 0
Really? Vignette is way better on my htc inspire i actually took a pic of a motorcycle moving while I was driving and there was no blur unlike any moving pic I take with the stock camera having blur

I just find the zoom a bit of a pest in all honesty. Not very clear and I regualrly use it for work. I could see it being a pain, but I'm going to see how it goes.

Magic Hour is pretty much as close to Instagram as you can get, IMO.

I will have a look into that one :) Thanks.

Upvote 0

I've got the private beta, but I'm rather concerned about what the app is accessing, and I've yet to get a reply from Pecan about it.

Specifically, it's got access to read contact data and access other Google services and act as an account authenticator.

Now this might be innocuous, but I'd rather like some more details before installing an APK directly that requires me to reduce my system security.

Any answers?

Upvote 0
Cool retro effects: Vignette or Retro Camera are both good.

Good camera app with lots of image quality controls rather than fancy effects: Camera Advance

Panoramic pics: Photaf (or if you have a Sony Ericsson phone their Panorama app is really good - it's for the X10 but with root access and a bit of tweaking it can be made to work on the Arc or the Neo)

HDR pics: HDR Camera

Best gallery app: Quickpic

Video camera app with cool effects: Videocam Illusion Pro

Also - i've seen lots of people recommending camera360. I really recommend you DO NOT INSTALL IT. Have a look at the scary and excessive list of permissions that this app uses if youre wondering why (specifically, phone state and identity, sensitive log data, retreive running applications). I really cannot see why a camera app would need all this information, so the only conclusion i can come to is that theyre harvesting the info for dubious purposes. UNINSTALL. AVOID.

Reactions: CORY333
Upvote 0
Ever since upgrading to GB, my cam settings don't hold, the camera is so sluggish etc etc, we've all heard this by now. My family went to the air force museum the other day and my son took his ipod touch. He's over there clicking away and quickly zing zing zing. I'm trying to load my camera, change settings and zing zing zing he's flyin along.

I am simply looking for a camera app that allows for 8MG cam capture and quick recovery to the next picture. Filters and all that aren't as important to me as most of that I can do on the PC itself. Tried Pudding cam in Korean, Camera 36, Fast burst but they all don't seem to allow for the MG experience. Camera advance does it seems but the free version only let's you roll with 3.2 MG. Not sure how the higher resolution will perform.

Anyone have the same situation? I don't need 100 features, just the ability to snap pictures and start the app normally.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Our app is finally available on Android Market.

After a few months in private beta, we released Pecan v1.0 yesterday. You can get it here:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pecan&feature=search_result

Our most-used feature is the automatic Facebook uploads.

You can create a FB album on the fly, and then every photo you take in the album gets uploaded there immediately.

We also have a nifty Album mode that lets you manage your photos in albums.

For the time being the app is 100% FREE, so feel free to download it now.

Would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions and feature requests - just email us at chief@projectpecan.com.

Upvote 0
Our app is finally available on Android Market.

After a few months in private beta, we released Pecan v1.0 yesterday. You can get it here:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pecan&feature=search_result

Our most-used feature is the automatic Facebook uploads.

You can create a FB album on the fly, and then every photo you take in the album gets uploaded there immediately.

We also have a nifty Album mode that lets you manage your photos in albums.

For the time being the app is 100% FREE, so feel free to download it now.

Would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions and feature requests - just email us at chief@projectpecan.com.

Can you explain why the app has the permissions list it does please? It seems to have the ability to access all your accounts, inc passwords, and all contacts data. Why does a camera app need this?

I emailed the project about this when I got the beta invite, but never got a reply which is poor and worrying considering it's subject.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones