• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best "cloud based" file storing and organizing tool? Dropbox, Evernote, GDocs?

Vesbon

Apr 24, 2010
This is off topic (off Android really), but does anyone know where to find good advice on moving to a "paperless office" using cloud software. I want to keep all my stuff online using a scanner and cloud based software. I'm posting here because many on this forum are software junkies and would at least know a few forums to direct me to. Actually, to bring it back to Android, I will be using my smart-phone to access the cloud to see my docs, which is a big reason I want to move to the "cloud."

Here is my main question: What is the best cloud-based tool to store electronic documents? Google Docs, Evernote, or DropBox?

Can anyone recommend a good forum to post my question to?

Thanks,
-v

google docs, (in theory) is my favorite as far as purely documents goes. if you can get everyone using google products and gmail then the integration is fantastic. However, even as much as docs has matured it still fails hard at reading an displaying modern file formats.

I currently use dropbox for everything since I have a fair bit of non-document related office stuff to back up. both dropbox and google have mobile interfaces (or dropbox app + quickoffice) so thats nothing to worry about

Upvote 0
They are all good for different things. Google docs is great for actual documents that are still being edited, especially if you are collaborating. Dropbox is for files that need to be kept in sync on different computers, or to share files using a link. Evernote is great for clipping things from the web to remember later, or making quick notes for yourself.

Upvote 0
dropbox is more for realtime syncing, thats why its so much more expensive.

mozy is for bulk backup. you'll be happy to know restoring files from mozy is super easy, and even supports restoring to any path.

the realtime collaborative editing aspect of gdocs is *fantastic*. but good luck actually saving or printing it to .doc or pdf, because you're going to have to spend another half hour re editing the doc for formatting, not to mention actually editing things inside your web browser is a nightmare.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones