• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Firewall app to stop app internet access

Hiii,

Every now and then during installation of apps from Google play store, I've come across that these apps requires permission for network communication and various others. Example is as follows

security-permissions.png

Is there a way to block these apps access to the network/internet once these apps are installed on Android tablet/phone.

Thanks.

A proper firewall will require root. If you have that there are a few of them out there that can deny an app access to the net.

Net access doesn't have to be suspicious though: a ad-supported app will need it, or since that one's a music player it could be to allow it to look up lyrics, album art or similar.

If you haven't already, have a look at the sticky post in this forum: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

Upvote 0
Thanks fellas. My device does have root access, so I'm in luck. Basically I'm thinking of allowing an app for root access, once installed then placing the device back to root access permission deny.

@Hadron
I've read about permissions thanks for the post. Now given that there are so many types of permissions and each app request subset of these permissions; is there an app that can give us a full control on what particular access permission we can allow or deny. Take an example of the following.
security-permissions.png

After installation of this particular application "MixZing Media Player", I would want to disallow/allow following permissions.

Disallow:
Your Location
coarse (network-based) location

Disallow:
Network Communication
full Internet access

Disallow:
Phone Calls
read phone state and identity

Disallow
System tools
display system-level alerts, modify global system settings,
prevent phone from sleeping (allow), retrieve running application.

In other words granularity on what can or can't be access from our device. Like in above case I want to disallow everything and only allow "prevent phone from sleeping".

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OK, got it. I knew I'd seen alostpacket say something about permission blocking apps somewhere - if I'm going to say anything about this sort of app, I like it to be from a source I trust :)

So in this post he names a particular developer, and that developer's permission blocking app is Permissions Denied. Never used it myself, and I'm sure many apps will fail if you do this. But if you want to try, that's the best suggestion I can make.

Upvote 0
I used Droidwall, and then switched to AFwall+ which builds upon the abandoned Droidwall, fixes some vulnerabilities (like boot up leak) and adds some new features.

Both very simple interface (check individually which apps you want to be able to access the internet via wifi and which ones via data).

Both take very little overhead (they just adjust the IPtables rules... whatever that means).

Great programs... much recommended. I'd go with AFwall+ myself.

Upvote 0
In my case one thing always works :) I simply turn off WiFi and mobile data and turn the app which need Internet connection.

Simple work around to that I sure is to program app to send data that is being mined (data mining) next time you are connected. Next time you are connected data is transmitted in the background. That's what I'd do if I was looking to steal data.

Upvote 0
You could use Avast

Are you saying it has a firewall or some type, in which you can restrict outbound data?

(I have a general distrust in alot of the data being transmitted- that the end user has NO control over once the app has been installed.)

I'm looking for info about.

1: Running apps in a sandbox.

2: App (Firewall?) that restricts outbound data- and or modifies the data being transmitted.

3: "Fools" /tricks the app trying to transmit outbound data into thinking it successfully has transmitted the data.
EG: Some type of "loopback" app that grabs outbound traffic, makes app think it is transmitting all your personal data,buying habits, info on sites you visit, GPS tracking info, etc willy-nilly.

(I bet developers put safeguards in place to disallow this as they cull data, sell off data.)

Upvote 0
Should I have root to use this ?

LBE Privacy Guard requires a ROOTed phone, please make sure your phone has been unlocked and ROOTed.

With the state-of-the-art API interception technology, LBE Privacy Guard provides great enhancement to Android permission system, now the first time you are able to:
- Protect your privacy by controlling the permission of each application to access your sensitive data.
- Block malicious operation from Mal-wares and Trojans.
- Block unwanted network traffic if you don

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones