• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best kernel for Myn's RLS4??

interesting note....

netarchy 4.2 cfs no havs and myn's has been the fisrtt kernel/sense rom combo that I have been able to max overclock out at 1290...and it's stable

been running for 12 hours no reboots etc.

:D

Do you mean 1190? Netarchy's range ends at 1297, I believe. I can't go above 1190 without it locking up. It does run very stable at 1190, though.

EDIT: haha I somehow didn't notice until just now that I meant 1267, not 1297.

Upvote 0
So I'm running Myn's ROM and netarchy-toastmod-4.2.1-cfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass. I downloaded CPUtuner. Is it better to choose a profile or just adjust the governor? What's a safe max freq to improve performance without lockups and reboots? Currently the governor is set to conservative. I assume that's the default for the kernel?

Upvote 0
So I'm running Myn's ROM and netarchy-toastmod-4.2.1-cfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass. I downloaded CPUtuner. Is it better to choose a profile or just adjust the governor? What's a safe max freq to improve performance without lockups and reboots? Currently the governor is set to conservative. I assume that's the default for the kernel?

I'd recommend you just use setcpu as it will detect the default settings, but if you want to use cpu tuner, you should set the governor back to smartass, which is the default for netarchy kernels (it's in the name ;)). You shouldn't use any kind of profiles with smartass/havs as they will conflict. If you want, you can overclock/underclock, but that's all you should do. I can get it up to 1190 and keep it stable. Anything beyond that will lock up my phone within seconds.

Reactions: stevcha
Upvote 0
I'd recommend you just use setcpu as it will detect the default settings, but if you want to use cpu tuner, you should set the governor back to smartass, which is the default for netarchy kernels (it's in the name ;)). You shouldn't use any kind of profiles with smartass/havs as they will conflict. If you want, you can overclock/underclock, but that's all you should do. I can get it up to 1190 and keep it stable. Anything beyond that will lock up my phone within seconds.

Thanks! So in setcpu once I change the overclock does the setting stay at that freq? I used cpu tuner and for some reason it just kept defaulting back.

Upvote 0
Thanks! So in setcpu once I change the overclock does the setting stay at that freq? I used cpu tuner and for some reason it just kept defaulting back.

I've never used cputuner, so I can't say, but there's probably an option to remember your settings. In setcpu, there's an option on the first tab to keep settings at boot. Of course, never check that until you know it's stable, or you could end up in a boot loop.

Another question. I used the auto-detect feature in SetCPU and it listing the scaling as conservative. Is this what I should set to smartass so it matches the kernel? Also what's the set on boot option?

That's odd, it should set to smartass by default. Do you still have some other cpu app installed like cputuner? Set it to smartass and make sure it stays there. You should probably uninstall cpu tuner if you still have it.

Upvote 0
I've never used cputuner, so I can't say, but there's probably an option to remember your settings. In setcpu, there's an option on the first tab to keep settings at boot. Of course, never check that until you know it's stable, or you could end up in a boot loop.

That's odd, it should set to smartass by default. Do you still have some other cpu app installed like cputuner? Set it to smartass and make sure it stays there. You should probably uninstall cpu tuner if you still have it.

I think it might have changed to conservative when I using cputuner. I set it to smartass now so should I select the set on boot option?

Upvote 0
I've got it set to 1152 right now. So far it seems to be running pretty well.

Have you noticed a big real world boost in performance with the cpu set at 1190 as opposed to the default 9 something?

it's a bit smoother between 998 and 1190, but not much of a difference between 1152 and 1190.

EDIT: Your best bet is to just try a few settings for a little while with set on boot not checked, then when you find what you like (that is stable as well) have it set on boot.

Upvote 0
How's your battery life been at 1190?

Eh, I can usually get ~4-6 hours of actual use with usually 24-36 hours of total uptime, but it varies depending on what I'm doing. If I don't use it a lot, I can get 48 hours of uptime, but, hey, what's the point if it's just going to sit there. The nice part is that it only drops about 2% during the night, and sometimes not at all if the battery is under 50%.

Upvote 0
What's the difference between netarchy toastmod with havs and without?

There's a pretty good description on the netarchy thread itself:

[GPL][Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.1.9.1 Beta: 4.2.1 - xda-developers

Basically HAVS = Hybrid Adaptive Voltage Scaling. As the CPU scales up and down, the voltage supplied to the cpu goes up and down. The purpose - when you undervolt as much as possible, it shouldn't use as much of the battery. So, when the screen is off, and the cpu is scaled way down, it's drawing as little voltage as possible. As the cpu scales up when you start using the phone, the supplied voltage goes up. If you don't use HAVS, the cpu will draw a constant voltage. Some phones can't handle aggressive undervolting, which is why there are two HAVS kernels for both CFS and BFS.

If you want to watch HAVS in action, install OS Monitor and watch the messages tab where you will see it displaying what voltages it's setting it to based on the current cpu scaling.

Upvote 0
So min 245 and max 1152 is a safe range?

Min is fine, and as long as 1152 isn't causing any lockups or random reboots, then yes. 1152 is generally considered the most stable overclock. Some people can go up to 1190, and very few can go higher. That, of course, varies widely based on the kernel used, of course.

Upvote 0
Do you mean 1190? Netarchy's range ends at 1297, I believe. I can't go above 1190 without it locking up. It does run very stable at 1190, though.

my bad...1267

I could have sworn it was 1290.

worked well for 24 hours..then it started rebooting when I would get a call or text. oddly enough it worked fine for that 24 hours then gave me issues.

Upvote 0
my bad...1267

I could have sworn it was 1290.

worked well for 24 hours..then it started rebooting when I would get a call or text. oddly enough it worked fine for that 24 hours then gave me issues.

Wow, that's pretty amazing, even if it did start giving you issues later. My phone locks up immediately if I set it that high.

Upvote 0
Anyone have any issues with screen flicker with the netarchy kernel? I rebooted my phone and the screen kinda flickers for a few seconds when I first get into the OS. Do you think it could be from the set cpu settings or the undervolting?

Which netarchy kernel? there are, like...12 choices. Some people have that issue with HAVS, which is why there is more and less aggressive HAVS choices. If you're using more aggressive, try the less aggressive one. If you still have the problem, your phone might not be able to handle HAVS. If you're not using HAVS, well, I suppose it's a different issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones