• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Best keyboard case/dock for Xoom?

The Asus Transformer had the docking station built-in right from the beginning, so it had the hard-points for attaching it built in.

The Xoom doesn't any "latch" points so unless it just sits on it, it wouldn't be secure at all.

The more I check out my brothers transformer, the more I get envious, I still like my Xoom and what I can do with it, but the lack of updates are aggravating :(

Upvote 0
I know there'd need to be some kind of harness to support the weight of the xoom, but that hardly seems out of the realm of possibility. I'm thinking of some kind of hard shell case that holds the xoom, and attaches on a nice sturdy hinge to a tray that holds a Bluetooth keyboard. Sure we could get fancy and have ports and extend the connections from the xoom, but I'm not greedy :)

Who wants to help built it?

Upvote 0
I could build a 3D printed prototype for something like that from Shapeways (do the 3D model and submit it), but it would probably be a couple hundred dollars and a LOT of work, then you'd need to sell the idea to a company that specializes in making cases....

As far as the overall idea goes, it would be pretty simple to measure the contours and design the shell case, the top would fit the Xoom, the bottom could hold a keyboard... Then you'd need to make a way for it to stand up (the ASUS keyboard has a giant battery to counter balance the top tablet) But again, with making prototypes, it would be a lot of work and would be pretty cumbersome... And not to mention expensive.

I made a small protective case for Dextro energy tablets (I'm a type-1 diabetic, the dexto sugar tablet packge is maybe 5/8th of an inch tall, 1-1/4 inch wide and 4 inches long), fairly simple piano hinge and a latch, and both pieces were about 60 bucks together. So for something as large as a Xoom with a bottom case big enough to support the Xoom AND hold a keyboard, a prototype could easily reach 2-300 dollars, and without a case company jumping at that opportunity, I wouldn't put up that kinda money....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones