• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best phone from a black friday sale to use as a wi-fi only device?

np6s4x

Nov 17, 2011
i currently am using a Samsung Vitality (from when bestbuy had it for $50 in the spring) i mainly use it to listen to slacker radio, along with a little web surfing, and sometimes a few games

but it's rather slow, has very little internal memory, and a rather small screen, so i would like to upgrade to something a little better, but not quite sure what will be the best deal

see quite a few from virgin mobile, and boost mobile that will be having quite the sale

LG Optimus Elite 49.99 - Virgin Mobile - bestbuy
Kyocera Hydro 39.99 - Boost Mobile - walmart
Kyocera Rise 29.99 -Virgin Mobile - target
HTC One V 99.99 Virgin Mobile - radioshack
Samsung Galaxy Rush 69.99 - Boost Mobile - radioshack
ZTE Warp 64.99 Boost Mobile - bestbuy

not quite sure about price range

Upvote 0
You're not going to get a great deal from a pre-paid carrier. There is a reason those phones are under $60 without a contract. Most of the black Friday deals are for phones including a plan. That way, the carrier subsides the cost of your device up front in exchange for a higher monthly plan for the duration of the contract.

My suggestion, but a Galaxy Nexus (NOT nexus 4) if price is your main concern. It will be a huge upgrade for you, and can be used with T-Mobile or AT&T prepaid.

Upvote 0
don't plan to have service with it, it's only data connection will be wifi at home, or a business hot-spot

all of the prices above will be the off-contract full price of the device, from Walmart, Best Buy, Kmart, Radio Shack or maybe others

the galaxy nexus isn't really an option since need a sd-card slot

Upvote 0
thanks for the advice on the galaxy player, in a weird kind of way, when i went searching on google for info about them, i some how ran across a site called 'cow boom', which had an evo 3d for $79.99 (already gone it seems, though a evo 4G for $49.99 probably isn't too bad either)

for my use it totally doesn't matter that it's considered used, it's got the bigger screen, more memory, and much faster processor, pretty much the same thing as what virgin mobile has currently for about a third the price :)

also, added stores to the above post of prices, for any that might be interested

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones