• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best prepaid option for international visitor

bunnybash

Jun 10, 2010
My wife and I are visiting her family in Orange County Ca for a month. We are from Australia, and have HTC Desires that use the same bands as the AT&T network, so I was wondering if there is a possibility for us to be able to get a prepaid sim card for data and voice that we would only use for a month then dispose of. Trying to figure out AT&T's website is crazy, I have no interest in a "go phone" i just want a freakin sim with data and voice that will last me a month!!!

Any help??

You can get either AT&T or Tmobile prepaids. Your phone may not do the Tmobile 3G bands though. If you walk into an AT&T store, they will hand you prepaid sim for free as long as you buy topup. OTOH, you can get both AT&T and Tmobile sims on ebay for dirt cheap. Tmobile has the "daily pass" for $1.49. That gives you unlimited data for the day. You may want to look at that as well. However, their call rates are a little higher than AT&T's unless you buy the $100 topup, when will then give you the same $0.10/min as AT&T.

Reactions: bunnybash
Upvote 0
so would i be correct in thinking that the $50 plan on the T-mobile plan would be a good option, unlimited talk and text and 100mb of data, we are only in america for exactly a month, so it should be ok for us...

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx?WT.mc_n=Prepaid_SeePlan&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

it operates on the following frequencies... i will be metro areas of Los Angeles and Orange County 95% of the time...

GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900, 3G 850, 3G 2100

Upvote 0
What do you mean by no data signals? Your phone will probably show E for edge unless it has the 3g bands tmobile uses. You will also need to get the GPRS settings for tmobile on your phone.

So I went ahead and got the t mobile, but can't seem to get any data signals... Wifi only at the moment, plan on dropping in to ask t mobile, but yeah, annoying!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones