• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best route for Cable + Internet

jamor

Android Expert
Apr 13, 2010
Planet Earth
What is the best route for cable + internet.

The Time Warner Cables fastest is 15 mbps down and 1 mbps up. To me that isn't very fast. Especially since when we purchased cable over 10 years ago it was faster.

There is a package for $135 a month with a 12 month deal:

Internet: Top tier (fastest they have) - 15 mbps down, 1 mbps up.

WiFi Home Network service: allows you to connect wirelessly to the Internet through a special wireless router so you can use your computers (up to 4) to reach the Internet from almost anywhere in your home

Digital TV includes:

over 200 all digital channels, including more than 40 Music Choice channels and an interactive channel guide.

HD DVR Box and Service, HBO with On Demand, Cinemax with On Demand and Variety tier.

A variety of HDTV channels including free local HD. Movies On Demand and Free On Demand

__

Is there a better route than this? We don't have Verizon Fios in Milwaukee.

Reactions: scarlettbuzz
Yea that is weird. Normally I would just use my own router but this one is included in the package. I wouldn't have more than 4 people on it anyways... but that is still odd.

The only nice thing is that if you have to troubleshoot wireless, Time Warner will only help you if it is their wireless router going through their cable modem.

We'll probably go with this package since we are so limited in selection.

Upvote 0
Save yourself the monthly rental on the router. Set up your own, you can have almost unlimited computers on it, the setup is easy if you do a little research. There's VERY little troubleshooting that needs to be done once the initial setup is done. The only thing we've done at my parent's in the last 3-4 years is add more devices, it's been super stable.

FWIW, I set up my parent's, when we first did it we had 3 devices on it, we now have TWENTY MAC addresses in the filter to allow them to connect. Not all are on all the time, but when my brother's in town I can think of 5-6 that would be connected when everyone is in the house. At MY place, I have 5 devices of my own, 2 are on constantly when I'm there (phone and tablet), 2 work PCs and my personal HP.

You think 15 down isn't that fast? The only thing faster is fiber, if it's even available, and you have to pay extra to get higher speeds.

Reactions: jroc and jamor
Upvote 0
What is the best route for cable + internet.

The Time Warner Cables fastest is 15 mbps down and 1 mbps up. To me that isn't very fast. Especially since when we purchased cable over 10 years ago it was faster.

There is a package for $135 a month with a 12 month deal:

Internet: Top tier (fastest they have) - 15 mbps down, 1 mbps up.

WiFi Home Network service: allows you to connect wirelessly to the Internet through a special wireless router so you can use your computers (up to 4) to reach the Internet from almost anywhere in your home

Digital TV includes:

over 200 all digital channels, including more than 40 Music Choice channels and an interactive channel guide.

HD DVR Box and Service, HBO with On Demand, Cinemax with On Demand and Variety tier.

A variety of HDTV channels including free local HD. Movies On Demand and Free On Demand

__

Is there a better route than this? We don't have Verizon Fios in Milwaukee.

As MP stated, 15 is fast enough for your own usage. If you are going to go the route of using multiple services from Time Warner, this obviously seems to be the best bet for you and whomever else lives with you. As for the router, use your own. Eff their shit.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
I've had this set up from time warner now for almost 10 years. I get my internet, cable and phone through them on a package deal. Overall it has gotten much better since they converted my area to full digital lines. before that, service was a pain in the rear, but was still better than anything else in the area. Now days, Verizon has improved dramatically and at least in may area, offers true 100% fiberoptic service, which makes for faster transfer rates than what TWC is providing. I've heard that some of the features of their TV service are also better (especially their DVR offerings). personally I find that Time warner is prone to drastic price increases from year to year with ZERO change in service. I fact, after being a long time custmer, I might be switching later this year.

TWC's DVR service is also limited (only allows you to watch and/or record 2 channels at a time and you need a separate dvr for each TV). Tivo and Verizon do a much better job of this (or you could always get a Mac mini and turn it into a super DVR/home pc/entertainment/communication center).

Another plus of verizon is that if you use verizon wireless as your cell carrier, they'll package all your billing together as a single bill (don't know if they'll throw in a package deal in services with cells though).

The down side is that Verizon doesn't have quite as many channels and I think they are missing a few specialty channels (like the yankees network). They also don't have their fiberoptic service in nearly as many locations as TWC has their digital service.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
Thanks guys.

The only reason I would use their router is because it is included in the package. But if you guys feel that way, I'll just use my own router.

Yea Isthmus I really wish Verizon FioS was in Milwaukee because I would definitely get it.

I am moving to a new apartment and Time Warner is already giving me a hard time. They won't confirm an appointment or accept my order because the girl living there hasn't cancelled yet. I don't move in until July 1st. What a pain in the ass. Like do they think I'm pranking them? I'm paying for the service upfront with a card (first month). What morons.

Upvote 0
Can you get Comcast or RCN in your area?

RCN has more channels for less money.

Comcast's On Demand is waaay better.
RCN has more HD channels.

RCN groups the channels in a logical order; sports channels are grouped together, local HD channels are together, etc. Comcast has no rhyme or reason to how they have channels setup.

The Comcast DVR setup is miles better than RCN's.

Last time I used RCN the fastest they had was 20Mbps down, 2Mbps up. Their fastest now is 60Mbps down, 6Mbps up.

I can only get Comcast in my area. When I signed up last year I got the fastest at 60Mbps down at a discount, forgot how much up. I just checked and now they got ....105Mbps down, 10Mbps up. Usually when that happens, current customers get pushed up to the higher speeds at no cost. It happened to me the past few times on both Comcast and RCN. Maybe thats why my internet connection has been flaking out lately...Gotta disconnect my router and see whats up.

Looks like RCN is still the cheapest, and still behind Comcast for the fastest speed.

Fios who?

Upvote 0
About the router., what determines how many computers you can connect is the number of channels available to the router. 4 is on the low side for a modern router. most new ones support 5 or 6 channels easy, which means that you can connect at least that many devices wirelessly plus a landline at the same time. Also, the number of antenae is important. generally the more antenae you have the better the coverage area. External antenae offer better coverage and reception but generally look like crap. some of the modern routers with many internal antenas do a very good job. this is especially true of some of the cisco valet series routers. Also consider a router that you can plug a network drive into and that supports eSata. A network drive will allow you to have a drive that you can use for back up or storage that all your computers can share. for example, I use mine to back up music and movies, which I then stream anywhere in the house to any device. the eSata connection (your ethernet connected computer will need an eSata port) will allow for super fast transfer rates (provided your netwrok drive also supports it).

The one time cost of getting your own, much better router is cheaper in the long run than renting an average to mediocre one from the cable company.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones