• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Size/Resolution/Aspect Ratio for Contact Photos?

Jethro

Nov 10, 2009
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out yet what the best resolution and/or aspect ratio is for custom contact photos?

Most of my contact photos come from Facebook, but some I will edit on my PC and load onto the phone's SD card. I know there are issues with decent photos becoming low-res pixelated, so I'm wondering if I start with the best size and/or aspect ratio, maybe the phone won't have to resample the photos itself.

Thanks. That's what I do for my Facebook gallery photos. I resize to Facebook's default size (604px x 400px if I remember correctly) and the usually look better than trusting FB's resizing.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out yet what the best resolution and/or aspect ratio is for custom contact photos?

Most of my contact photos come from Facebook, but some I will edit on my PC and load onto the phone's SD card. I know there are issues with decent photos becoming low-res pixelated, so I'm wondering if I start with the best size and/or aspect ratio, maybe the phone won't have to resample the photos itself.

Thanks. That's what I do for my Facebook gallery photos. I resize to Facebook's default size (604px x 400px if I remember correctly) and the usually look better than trusting FB's resizing.

Good question, I would be interested in the answer as well

Upvote 0
Ok, i'll try making them square.

As far as size, I wish I could figure out how to see the larger caller id photos without someone calling so I could try to better determine size. Anyone know?

I suppose I could have a friend just keep calling me, but that's annoying...

Upvote 0
Hmmm, well I haven't tried it yet, thanks. I did try to measure the size of an incoming call thumbnail, though, and according to my 'calculations' (which I don't assume to be 100% accurate), it looks like the photo is about 200px square.

Later when I get some time, I'll try making a nice photo at that size (and maybe a couple other sizes close to it) and see how it works.

If we knew where these photos were stored, it might be possible to find out exactly what size they are. But they're probably on the internal ROM storage somewhere that you would need root access to get to, right?!?

Upvote 0
double post, w00t

ok i installed the sdk so i could take a screenshot. here is the full size shot of me calling my wife

call1.jpg

photoshop tells me that pic is 200x200 so i found a random pic on the web, sized it to 200x200, added it to the sd card, and reset her picture with it for testing.

call-1.jpg

that pic came up perfectly clear with no loss when set as a contact picture.

Upvote 0
Ahh, so my 200px guess was pretty close, huh?

I actually tried copying 2 photos over - 1 was 200px square, the other was 220px square. The 200px image went right into the contact, but the 220px image had to be cropped/resized first. So maybe 200px is what I should save my contact photos as.

I'll wait to receive any calls from someone who's photo I've added to see if it's working. Does every other place a photo shows up, even the SMS apps, just use the tiny thumbnail?

And that's curious about the wallpaper size, as the screen resolution is only 480 x 320. Not sure why it would need to be larger...

Upvote 0
had to dig up this thread to find the wallpaper size and just made some new papes. attached if anyone wants them

Attachments

• border.jpg
    border.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 224
  • dirty.jpg
    dirty.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 122
  • lonely.jpg
    lonely.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 84
  • lunar.jpg
    lunar.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 81
  • peek.jpg
    peek.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 167
  • plain.jpg
    plain.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 74
  • retro.jpg
    retro.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones