Best Size/Resolution/Aspect Ratio for Contact Photos?General

Last Updated:

1. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out yet what the best resolution and/or aspect ratio is for custom contact photos?

Most of my contact photos come from Facebook, but some I will edit on my PC and load onto the phone's SD card. I know there are issues with decent photos becoming low-res pixelated, so I'm wondering if I start with the best size and/or aspect ratio, maybe the phone won't have to resample the photos itself.

Thanks. That's what I do for my Facebook gallery photos. I resize to Facebook's default size (604px x 400px if I remember correctly) and the usually look better than trusting FB's resizing.

Advertisement
  2. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Good question, I would be interested in the answer as well

3. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

aspect ratio is 1:1 square. the cropper comes up square, the little icon is square and the big caller id icon is square.

i find my pics perfect if i take a pic with the camera of the person then add it like that.

4. Jethro

Ok, i'll try making them square.

As far as size, I wish I could figure out how to see the larger caller id photos without someone calling so I could try to better determine size. Anyone know?

I suppose I could have a friend just keep calling me, but that's annoying...

5. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Making them square doesnt work, I have tried that. I think the pixelization happens when the eris re-sizes the picture. We need to find out the exact size of the photo when a call is made/received.

6. Jethro

Hmmm, well I haven't tried it yet, thanks. I did try to measure the size of an incoming call thumbnail, though, and according to my 'calculations' (which I don't assume to be 100% accurate), it looks like the photo is about 200px square.

Later when I get some time, I'll try making a nice photo at that size (and maybe a couple other sizes close to it) and see how it works.

If we knew where these photos were stored, it might be possible to find out exactly what size they are. But they're probably on the internal ROM storage somewhere that you would need root access to get to, right?!?

7. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member

Is there any way to adjust the contact photos that get imported from Facebook? About half my contacts have their faces cut off...

8. tiggen

tiggen Member

I realize this is kind of off topic, but what about size for wallpapers on the Eris?

9. Caddyman

640x480 is the wallpaper size.

ill tell you guys what size the icon is in a sec, installing sdk now

10. Caddyman

double post, w00t

ok i installed the sdk so i could take a screenshot. here is the full size shot of me calling my wife

[​IMG]

photoshop tells me that pic is 200x200 so i found a random pic on the web, sized it to 200x200, added it to the sd card, and reset her picture with it for testing.

[​IMG]

that pic came up perfectly clear with no loss when set as a contact picture.

11. Jethro

Ahh, so my 200px guess was pretty close, huh?

I actually tried copying 2 photos over - 1 was 200px square, the other was 220px square. The 200px image went right into the contact, but the 220px image had to be cropped/resized first. So maybe 200px is what I should save my contact photos as.

I'll wait to receive any calls from someone who's photo I've added to see if it's working. Does every other place a photo shows up, even the SMS apps, just use the tiny thumbnail?

And that's curious about the wallpaper size, as the screen resolution is only 480 x 320. Not sure why it would need to be larger...

12. Caddyman

13. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member

So why is it that some of my contact's photos from Facebook get imported incorrectly and have their heads cut off? I think those photos need to have black bars next to them in order to keep the size proportions correct.

14. franknbeanz

franknbeanz Member

I realize this is old but I accidentally discovered that the little green box can actually be resized. If you tap the box itself you can then drag it to make it bigger or smaller to fit the picture. Pretty cool. :p

15. Caddyman

had to dig up this thread to find the wallpaper size and just made some new papes. attached if anyone wants them

Attached Files: