• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Small Smartphones w/LTE?

zachavm

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2011
My wife really needs a phone that will be solidly reliable and work for a long time. She has the Exhibit now, but it's iffy. She also can't handle the larger phones (my nexus is too big). I'm thinking the only serious option for her is the Moto X. However, I would really like to avoid the $600 price tag. I'm still holding out hope for a price drop/cheaper option soon.

Any other phones I'm not considering? I really want to get one with LTE and AT&T compatibility so she can be future proofed as she will likely keep it as long as it works.

More future?

The Optimus F3 has LTE and HSPA+42.2mbps.
It can handle many tasks like video/music/many games.

Get motochopper for root then run /system/etc/disable_tmus_vendor_apks.sh
then get JB Tether your wife will be all set for wifi tethering.

What more could you want from a $200 phone?

D'oh.

Meant more future proof. I just don't want her being happy with every aspect of the phone. Camera, performance, internet speed, ect.

Upvote 0
D'oh.

Meant more future proof. I just don't want her being happy with every aspect of the phone. Camera, performance, internet speed, ect.

Ok, I'm real confused. You want budget price; small screen, but you want it "future proof" but you don't want her happy with every aspect of the phone? You need to clarify a bit more so that we can make some suggestions.... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm real confused. You want budget price; small screen, but you want it "future proof" but you don't want her happy with every aspect of the phone? You need to clarify a bit more so that we can make some suggestions.... :thinking:

I just said I would prefer lower priced, but if we have to go higher we will. I'm just spoiled by the nexus. It's great for me, but I wish they had a nexus "mini" for my wife.

Upvote 0
With the way the phone market is going.
There is no such thing as "Future Proof"

If you get a htc one you may have 3-4 years before it is unpleasantly out of date.
After 1-2 years with HTC One you will see mid range phones that match/surpass htc one.

As far as I know HTC One is the most powerful smartphone currently available.

Make it 2 years AT MOST. Lol :p

HTC likes dropping their users after a period of time, I'm with Samsung now and at least they will upgrade us, HTC doesn't really care too much about their users from my experience with them. And of course people are going to disagree with me but I'm open to criticism.

But back on topic, asking for a future proof phone is like asking if Santa Claus exists. Unless you mean future proof for 1-2 years, yeah, but more than that? Good luck! :D

OP, i would just shop around with her and see what she likes.

Upvote 0
Actually, I disagree with the future proof thoughts here. For me, hell no. I buy new phones every 6-12 months. I might make it a year after I buy the next nexus waiting for the 2014 version.

However, for my wife (and the large majority of people) I think the phones of the last year or so are hitting that mark. The average upgrade time for a PC is 4.5 years. Phones are/will be approaching that quickly. The reasons for upgrading are diminishing fast. A phone can only get so fast. It can only have so much pixel density before it's pointless. A camera can only get so good. We can make these things better, but the law of diminishing returns is starting to be a SERIOUS factor here with phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones