Big brother

1. madmonk

madmonk Well-Known Member

I know Android is owned by the Google Corporation but is there really any need to have to register your email address, or create a new google one if you dont already have one, with your phone network??

I have absolutely no reason or desire to allow Google to be able to access the content of my SMS, my calender, or the content of any applications. Conversely have you looked at what these applications, whom Google has recently stated are trustworthy, can actually access from your phone??

For example, the Google Search app can read calender data, write calender data, read contact data etc. I'm with Orange. Not Google. Can these settings be turned off, as you would turn off application settings on a PC by using Zone Alarm for example.

The HTC sense app can even access SMS or MMS.

I am a little paranoid sure, but i feel i have the right not to trust whomsoever i choose , including Google, whose privacy violations have recently been the subject of much press coverage.

Thoughts for this Winston Smith?
    Ta.

Advertisement
  2. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

Just turn off all Google syncing. sense UI is the interface of the phone, of course it can access sms otherwise you wouldn't be able to read or send them!
  3. SL4VE

SL4VE Well-Known Member

unless your a criminal you shouldnt feel paranoid. most of the time these apps access your info for reasons to help and assist the user
  4. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Just don't tell this guy that Orange/Google and the rest of the world can know where he is thanks to GPS and network masts.

Seriously I trust Google more than Orange with sensitive data.
  5. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

6. madmonk

madmonk Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch.

So I guess you won't be renewing your subscriptions to Liberty any time soon.

And SL4VE thinks we should only worry about privacy if we're criminals.Righto. I'm sure he'd protest if someone stuck a cctv camera outside his house.

lol., thanks for your responses. I'll just go and remove the silverfoil from my walls now.
  7. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

I think people get to caught up in the hype about our civil liberties being eroded. Do you think Google / the Government / THE MAN really care what you are doing? Do they care who you are sending messages to? Of course they don't.

People can never seem to say exactly what they are worried about, other than it makes them feel uneasy. But what exactly do you expect to happen or how do you feel your "civil liberties" are actually being hurt?
  8. mikebell

mikebell Well-Known Member

Yes they do. And very much so. Since April 2009 internet service providers and phone companies have been required by law to retain records of your communications activities.
  9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You can't get apps from market without one
  10. mikeh

mikeh Active Member

Quick, get the tin-foil hats.
  11. SL4VE

SL4VE Well-Known Member

i do actually have a police link CCTV round near the back of my house and i know they can full well see into my back garden and probably into my windows, but thats another story and im sure they are bored looking at me