• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big Changes at Android Forums

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    You've probably noticed that things look a lot different here. Some features are missing. The Blue/Green AF robot theme is gone. What's happening? This is all intentional and a sign of big changes to come.

Android Forums started the day that Google announced Android. We built a community when most people doubted Android would succeed. We partied when HTC/T-Mobile launched the Dream/G1. We were the first to get our hands on Verizon's Droid brand and birthed some of Android's most legendary leaks (like the HTC Incredible). We became the go to source for help with Samsung's Galaxy phones and over the course of a decade built one of the most helpful, informative, fun, and friendly online communities in the history of tech.

And we did it together.

But let's face it: the height of Android excitement is behind us. The smartphone market has matured. New Android announcements just don't hit like they used to... and that's okay. Android will always have a special place in our heart, but as technology enthusiasts, we want and need more.

Today marks the beginning of a major shift, from a community of Android lovers to a destination for all tech enthusiasts. To start that journey, we've decided to strip the site down to its basic building blocks and update our software to the latest and greatest version. The two most important parts of the site remain unchanged: the content and the community.

Stay tuned, feel free to ask questions, and check back daily for updates... you may even find we have a new name soon!

The next big thing is coming...

Software Update (Round #1): COMPLETE
    We're live!

As you'll notice, things may be hard to find. We're going to rethink and rebuild from the ground up! Please drop any and all feedback, suggestions, opinions, ideas, etc... below.

This is just a STARTING POINT. Our developer (thanks @Morgan) needs some rest and I will be carefully reviewing all the input to determine our next steps. Cheers to some exciting times ahead! Let's hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Any chance you can enable the dark mode option in Xenforo? I know it's there.

Also a note in case anyone has similar issues- I tried to log in with the new software but got directed to the "register" page even though I could see I was still a registered member. I fixed it by requesting a password reset, didn't even have to change my password but just re-entered the old one and then I was able to log in.

Upvote 0
    Update- looks like this only works on one device at a time, whenever I try to connect on a different device I get the same thing and doing the password reset on another device breaks the others. So I am only able to be logged in on one device at a time. Something needs fixing.
    Note this is across different platforms and browsers.
    Also it appears the app is now totally broken, maybe nobody cares but it did still work previously and had a working dark mode.

Upvote 0

Also a note in case anyone has similar issues- I tried to log in with the new software but got directed to the "register" page even though I could see I was still a registered member. I fixed it by requesting a password reset, didn't even have to change my password but just re-entered the old one and then I was able to log in.
    Update- looks like this only works on one device at a time, whenever I try to connect on a different device I get the same thing and doing the password reset on another device breaks the others. So I am only able to be logged in on one device at a time. Something needs fixing.
    Note this is across different platforms and browsers.
    Also it appears the app is now totally broken, maybe nobody cares but it did still work previously and had a working dark mode.
    Yes, I noticed @Dannydet was logged in as an alias and sent his alias a PM. It's something on the login screen that is redirecting to the registration page.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    It's there but by default, you've got to force one or the other. I'm making a "Suggestions" Forum so we can try to organize ideas like this and see what everyone thinks.
    I tried to log in with the new software but got directed to the "register" page.
    Is this still happening? I rebuilt the entire user cache which is why the site was down for so long.
    It appears signatures are back, but I can't find a way to edit mine. Oh, and hi @Morgan :)
    Uhohs... signatures?! Haha, forgot about them! Hmm...

Upvote 0
    It's there but by default, you've got to force one or the other.
    You sure? I use other Xenforo forums where it's a user-selectable option.
    Is this still happening? I rebuilt the entire user cache which is why the site was down for so long.
    Yes, I just tried on my phone and still getting the redirect to a register page.

Upvote 0
    I got confused with, "Having trouble logging in? PLEASE RESET YOUR PASSWORD! We're experiencing a few bugs and glitches after a huge software update. Thanks for your patience!"

I thought how can reset my password if i can't login.

I then registered AugieIL with my att email, but never received the confirmation email.

Then I realzed to reset my AugueTN password I had to check "Forgot Password". That worked and i reset my password for AugieTN

It does appear that new registration is not working because I never got the confirmation email for AugieIL with my att email

Hope that helps! The forum looks great!

Upvote 0
    I got confused with, "Having trouble logging in?
    I will change this to suggest doing FORGOT PASSWORD instead, thankss
    It does appear that new registration is not working because I never got the confirmation email
    Did you check your spam folder? Might need to reconfigure our mail settings.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
    Upvote 0
    Yes, I checked my spam folder

Maybe I made a mistake with my att email. Your mail setting seem to be good since the "Forgot Password" worked and sent me an email to change my password.

Addendum: Could there be an Admin function that all registrations have to be approved before an email is sent out. I think I remember that function from a different forum.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    Is it possible to get square avatars back? I never have been 'fawn'd' of round.

I like the 'new' look as it reminds me of the old AF back when it was vBulletin based. Can we have some retro tech forums since you want to make it an all tech community now? I feel so alone with my love of vintage to the 2009-13 tech era.

I agree, smartphones are boring. They're not mature, they just started stripping everything out that made them great and/or not the iPhone. Everyone wants to be Apple, including Microsoft. There's less competition and only two mobile OSs these days, and only one smartphone size, intended for sasquatches. I can only imagine the dream tech we might've had if we just kept the rapid pace of innovation going that we had in 2008-13 and never revisited the flat era of the Newton, Tandy Zoomer or other early PDAs when everything was basic, flat, and looked the same. We've been largely stagnant since 2015 and as of 2020 COVID only made matters worse. Now my 'downgrades' feel like proper upgrades. Put a Windows 7 laptop next to one with Windows 10 and I'll always see the one running 7 as the upgraded model. Flat gave way to 3D, not the other way around. Oh well, we could have had holographic UI like Iron Man, Alas, I'll never be able to 'toss' that 'file' into the 'bin' like Tony Stark did.

Dark mode should be easy. MacRumors also runs on Xenforo and users can choose dark or light, not one only. No reason we can't have that here. It's in the user CP of MacRumors.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I'm not finding the setting (assuming it's been added) just checked my user CP and nope. Not under main forum menu either.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. It was hidden on bottom left corner under 'default style'. Wow this is much better. Now my browser window matches my Winamp app.
    Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you will see themes on the bottom left.

Reactions: AugieTN
    Upvote 0
    But let's face it: the height of Android excitement is behind us. The smartphone market has matured.
    Speak for yourself. Being mature doesn't mean you have to leave excitement behind you. Useful tools are exciting, learning how to use them use them well is exciting! It doesn't matter if Android came out one year ago or one hundred. What matters is that Android is a useful tool, and there's plenty to learn about how to use it to its potential.

Upvote 0
    Oh believe me all the modern offerings are too close to Apple for me. Boring, bland, lacking features, feature removals, flat UI design.

***yawn***

Let's get the rapid pace going again, start packing features in, make each phone unique, and offer choices for everyone, from small screens to large, buttons or no buttons, keyboard sliders, hey, perhaps a modern Nokia N95? Let's make phones fun again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones