• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BIG problem with launcher pro and Gingerbread

HELP!! I got the Gingerbread update without deactivating my launcher pro. My phone loads to the home screen, but any time i try to do anything (open the app drawer, edit settings, etc) I get the error message where I can either wait or force close. My phone is essentially useless right now. Who else is having this problem?!

What phone do you have? Do you have root?

Never heard of an issue like this, using Launcher Pro on GB on my D2 w/no issues...

Just spitballin' some ideas below:

I assume you've just tried hitting the Home key? Since GB brings its own launcher, that could give you the option to choose a default home screen, in which case you could choose the GB home screen. Unlikely, but worth a shot.

Sounds like you can't get into Settings at all, so you can't uninstall Launcher Pro from Settings>Applications>Manage. Bummer.

Can't tell from your post - can you launch any of the apps on your home screen or add widgets? It sounds like you can't, but if you can:

- If you have the Market app on your home screen you could launch it, install another home screen app, and then launch it to get out of jail.

- If you don't have the market app on your home screen you could add the Market widget to your home screen and use that to get to the Market.

Alternatively, if the Notifications pull-down works, and if you have Market notifications on, at some point you're going to get a notification in the pull down that app updates are available - you can select the notification in the pull down to launch the Market and install an alternate home screen.

Alternately, if you have any way to add an app like Homesmack you could use that to select a new default home screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones