• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bionic Supports Divx/Xvid

milrtime83

Android Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009
I didn't see this mentioned on any spec sheets for the Bionic but it seems to have hardware decoding for divx/xvid videos.

I was reading this comparison between the Tegra 2 and TI OMAP chips. This statement specifically got me to try it:
TI uses a component called IVA3 which decodes a wider variety of codecs.
I've only tried one video but it works just fine with the standard video player.

Reactions: johnlgalt
I didn't see this mentioned on any spec sheets for the Bionic but it seems to have hardware decoding for divx/xvid videos.

I was reading this comparison between the Tegra 2 and TI OMAP chips. This statement specifically got me to try it: I've only tried one video but it works just fine with the standard video player.

This would be cool, i'll have to test some videos :")

Upvote 0
I just tried this out with mine.. I loaded an .avi onto the sd card and tried playing it through the gallery app which gave me a choice between Video Player (Stock App) and MXplayer (what I use to play divx) and the video player simply wouldnt play it at all... So I guess if it has the ability to decode, it must be disabled for licensing purposes..

Upvote 0
I just tried this out with mine.. I loaded an .avi onto the sd card and tried playing it through the gallery app which gave me a choice between Video Player (Stock App) and MXplayer (what I use to play divx) and the video player simply wouldnt play it at all... So I guess if it has the ability to decode, it must be disabled for licensing purposes..

Maybe try it with the app "Act 1 Video Player".

Upvote 0
Do remember that .avi is a container, like .mkv - .avi does not necessarily mean it is a DivX encoded video....

You make a good point there, one of the files i tested was The Holding (2011) DVDSCR XViD - NoGrp and it seemed to play fine, but i guess whoever encoded could of just lied in the title.

but i'm happy with that to be honest, as they never worked on my incredible without apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones