• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bionic upgrade price (VZW) - likely to drop anytime soon?

mark755

Lurker
Dec 16, 2011
I have a 1st gen droid and would like to get a Bionic. I am w/ Verizon and my 2 yr contract obligation has been satisfied.

I prefer the Bionic over the Razr for the removable battery and also because I thought it was a lot cheaper. That may be the case for new customers ($49.99 vs $179.99 for Bionic and Razr, respectively). However for those of us who are upgrading, there's only a $50 price difference ($169.99 vs $229.99). For the Razr, new customers are getting a 72% discount vs upgraders, but for the Bionic, the discount is only 26%.

I'm wondering if the Bionic upgrade price will likely drop to reflect a discount level more in line with the Razr's, which would put it at about $70.
Do a lot of ppl prefer the Bionic over Razr regardless of the price difference?

I suspect if it was going to drop much soon, it would have by now for the season. Do you not have the upgrade every 2 for your account?

I just ordered a bionic this morning from vzw for my wife's upgrade. With the $100 discount for upgrade every 2 and a online only promo I found that was till 10 am this morning, the bionic wound up costing me $49.

Upvote 0
I suspect if it was going to drop much soon, it would have by now for the season. Do you not have the upgrade every 2 for your account?

I just ordered a bionic this morning from vzw for my wife's upgrade. With the $100 discount for upgrade every 2 and a online only promo I found that was till 10 am this morning, the bionic wound up costing me $49.
almost threw my laptop across my room. im getting a certified pre owned bionic for more than that. MF!

Upvote 0
I would consider Costco since you are already eligible for an upgrade.

They have the Bionic with the bundle for $149.99. I think it's a better deal than VZW and you get a longer return period. It's only for this weekend though.

I'd suspect that the price of the Bionic at VZW will not drop anytime soon. If you consider that they have yet to drop the price on the Thunderbolt or Droid Charge to a price that is fitting to their specs.

I prefer the Bionic just because of it's form factor which is a big deal to me.

Upvote 0
The Costco deal sounds good, but unfortunately it won't allow me to keep my unlimited data plan (it requires changing to a tiered plan). Upgrading directly through VZW would let me keep unlimited data.

I would consider Costco since you are already eligible for an upgrade.

They have the Bionic with the bundle for $149.99. I think it's a better deal than VZW and you get a longer return period. It's only for this weekend though.

I'd suspect that the price of the Bionic at VZW will not drop anytime soon. If you consider that they have yet to drop the price on the Thunderbolt or Droid Charge to a price that is fitting to their specs.

I prefer the Bionic just because of it's form factor which is a big deal to me.

Upvote 0
The Costco deal sounds good, but unfortunately it won't allow me to keep my unlimited data plan (it requires changing to a tiered plan). Upgrading directly through VZW would let me keep unlimited data.

When I upgraded using letstalk.com, I kept my unlimited plan. A few weeks back, I went to BB to get an iPhone 4S. The BB Mobile rep said I wouldn't be able to keep my unlimited plan, to which I replied that it is possible. She processed it under a different system, started with an "e" if I am recalling correctly, and I was able to keep my unlimited plan. It is possible, they just need to know what they're doing.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Yesterday, I had tried to upgrade on Costco's website, which required choosing a tiered data plan. After reading your replies this morning, I called my local Costco and spoke to a CSR who informed me that they can indeed continue unlimited data with my extended contract. I'm headed there this afternoon to pick it up. It's a great deal at $149, with all of the bundled accessories.

I actually ordered a Bionic last night on VZW's website (upgrade price $169), which I'll cancel.

BTW, if anyone's also looking to upgrade to a Bionic, the Costco CSR said that this special offer will stay in effect until Wednesday 12/21 (all special offers rotate every Wednesday).

Yeah, costco should be able to keep you grandfathered. That's odd that CS told you that you wouldn't be. :thinking:

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones