• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bird Watchers

I sometimes find owl pellets and feathers but not much else. For the most part the hawks don't eat in the yard, they fly to woods at the fenceline. It's also probable that the dogs get to any gore before I see it. Ugh. There are feral cats around too, I know they come into the yard at night so they are probably cleaning it up for me. And yeah, no one seems to take the squirrels on, I have plenty of Red Tails around that could easily have a nice snack...

Upvote 0
I had a Cooper's chasing a Black Capped Chickadee one time. The Black Cap was feebeeing so loudly I heard him inside. Went out to look and there was the Cooper's sitting close by on a stump. Chased the accipiter, he circled around and started WALKING towards the bush where the Black Cap was hiding. If you have ever seen one of these birds walk --- they roll like the proverbially drunken sailor.

Chased him twice more and he finally got the idea and left.

Upvote 0
I've not seen one walk, just hop because their talons are full.

I've also never intentionally chased one off. I put the feeders out knowing I was feeding all the birds, hawks included. I hate seeing the whole cycle in action but kind of enjoy it too, hawks are really cool. They all have to eat to survive, I'm not going to interfere with that. I just do wish they'd take the sparrows only. Nature ain't pretty sometimes but I respect it and let it take it's course as much as possible.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Today's visitors.

card_1-28-17.jpg
wp_1-28-17.jpg
wren_1-28-17.jpg

Upvote 0
I just had a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers in my front yard. I couldn't get a great pic, as they flew over to my neighbors yard. They are both on the tree in the center of this pic on the opposite side of the driveway (you can clearly see the red and white on the back of its head). They are huge. :eek:
IMG_20170325_094116.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones