• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blackberry user needs help switching to android

mrisch

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
Hi all - I'm looking to move to an android phone, but have no idea what to get. Note that I like to get the latest and greatest if possible, and that I don't mind installing new software to get there (e.g. gingerbread). More details below, answering questions from another site. Any input is much appreciated.

1. What PDA and/or mobile phone do you use today?
Blackberry tour 9630 - with activesync software connected to exchange
Before that, i730 - loved the flip down keyboard

2. Are you locked into a mobile carrier (i.e. Verizon Wireless, Sprint PCS, etc.), or do you prefer a particular carrier? Do you know if one carrier has better coverage in places that you need to be? (PLEASE SEE THE CARRIER NOTE BELOW)

Locked into Sprint until July - probably stick there anyway - no great love for Verizon

3. Where are you based? Do you stay in one place or travel a lot? Do you travel internationally... how much and where? Do you intend to use your pdaPhone there?

Just outside of Philadelphia - some travel throughout US, international trip coming next fall, but that's rare

4. Do have a preference of Palm, Pocket PC, Symbian, Smartphone OS, Blackberry, etc.?

Android - smartphone

5. Are you likely to run it the way it came out of the box, or do you intend to load a whole lot of extra applications and stuff on it? Do you know of anything now that you will need to run?

Add lots. Needs to be able to get email and calendar from my exchange server

6. How important is wireless data access, and for what would you use it? (i.e. Web browsing, VPN, Remote termnial Access, Instant messaging, etc)?

Wireless data is a must, also with some sort of tethering (I heard android will work as a wifi hub? haven't researched yet)

7. Will you need to view Microsoft Office documents on the pdaPhone? Will you need to edit them?

view hopefully, editing nice but not critical

8. Will you need access to an email system?
a)Is it corporate (Exchange, Groupwise,Lotus, Other?) What Version? Do you want email wirelessly or do you want to do it in the office with a sync cable/cradle? Can you get your Corporate email configured for mobile access or do you need to run a desktop redirector?
b)Is it Pop3/Imap? Who is the service provider?

corporate wirelessly, latest exchange - push preferred, but polling is livable
wouldn't mind having Gmail (easy, I assume) and/or yahoo mail as well

9. Do you do SMS messaging a lot (telephone to telephone messaging)?

No

10. Do you want to use a GPS with the pdaPhone for mapping and navigation?

yes

11. What is your size preference.. very close to the smallest cellphone, or you don

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones