• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blackjack Attack

Hey All,

I'm going to take this opportunity to shamelessly promote my game Blackjack Attack. Please check it out if you have a moment. I started developing this game (loosely based on a Megatouch classic called Run21) as a learning exercise to learn the language; It has come out much better than I could have expected.

It is not your standard game of blackjack, rather an arcade-style game that adheres to blackjack rules. I paid high attention to detail in graphics and making it scale/display cleanly on all screen sizes. There is a free version and paid version, available for only $1.00.

So yeah, please check it out if you have a minute; I welcome all feedback/recommendations for features.

Thanks!

Just tried it out a bit.

I dig the graphics. They look pretty professional....though some of the backgrounds you can choose gave me the sense you just DL'ed random pics from the internet.

As far as gameplay....I couldn't really get it. I read the instructions and thought I had a basic sense of what to do. But I never got past round 2. I would try to get closest to 21 without going over. First round - 19, second round - 20. Then it just ended. I had no clue why or really how any of the scoring was working. Or even the point of the game / round for that matter. None of it was all too clear to me.

Dont know, maybe others "got it".

Just figured I'd give you my opinion, since no one else posted. Hope that helps.

Reactions: fluidsoftwarellc
Upvote 0
Thanks for your input A-Pac... It is very helpful. It is very clear to me now that I need to expand the instructions section to make the gameplay more clear, possibly even a short video simulation. Thank you for the compliments on the graphics.

Your assessment on the background images is somewhat accurate too, though I think there is a fair enough spread to accommodate most personalities. It was kind of an afterthought feature to add a little variety to what was originally a fixed-background game. Though I assure you that I do have legal rights to all those images (even if they did come cheap).

Thanks again for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated :)

Upvote 0
Hey Bobdog!

First off, thanks for buying my game :) I'm glad you enjoy it.

I like your suggestion of having some way to increase the rounds; I'll just have to give some thought into how scoring will play into that. I'm actually currently in the process of writing my own global scoreboard implementation, mainly because all the existing "plug-in" APIs are annoying and require users to create accounts, view ads, and are overall annoying, so I decided to write my own. That said, with global scoring its important to maintain some kind of standards to make the scoring an accurate and fair for everyone. On the other hand, I understand how having some way to play more rounds would add to the enjoyment.

I'll have to give this some thought... maybe revamp the whole scoring/gameplay model to keep allowing the player to play more rounds provided they reach an increasing score goal that ultimately becomes unattainable... that certainly would result in more score diversity. I'm open to thoughts/suggestions :)

Thanks Again!
Scott

Upvote 0
heh, Sorry for the delay... Wife just gave birth to my first son and it has been a crazy week! Anyway, I made a massive revamp to the Score Card screen which makes the scoring a little easier to understand (i think!), and will get cracking on that global scoreboard next... It's definitely the next thing in my queue, I also recently plugged a pretty major memory leak that was causing force closes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones