• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blank pictures in gallery

alhenderson

Nov 16, 2010
Northampton, UK
Hi,

Wonder if someone can advise on something. I was looking through my photo gallery last night on my DHD and there are a number of pictures which appear fine as thumbnails, but when I tap them to see full size, I just get a blank screen. The photos are there, because I can scroll through the full size photos and see them that way, its just when I tap on them directly it doesn't work.

I had a problem recently with some photos I took not appearing at first and then turning up a couple of days later. Wondered if it was worth formatting the SD card, or something like that. I'm using the standard 8Gb one that came with the phone.

Anyone got any thoughts? It was doubly embarrassing cos I was surrounded by iPhone users at the time :-(

Al.

Apparently the cards work best when formatted to FAT32, is that the case?

There is an app called SD Rescan which apparently fixes the issue of thumbnails not appearing in the gallery, it might work the other way around too.

Thanks for the hint on SD Rescan, I'll give it a go. How do I know if the SD card is FAT32?

Al

Upvote 0
Mount the phone as an external disk in windows, then right click the drive in Explorer and select Properties. It should tell you which file system it's using.

If it came with the phone and you've not touched it, it probably is Fat32 anyway, but there's no harm in checking.

Duh, of course! Yep, its FAT32. Will try that rescan utility..

Al.

Upvote 0
The plot thickens.. I checked the gallery this morning and saw that there were about 10 or so pictures less than yesterday. Upon looking, the ones that were giving me trouble the other day are gone. Even if I connect to the PC and look via Windows they're not there either. Downloaded and used SD Rescan and they look to have definitely gone!

Just as well I had already downloaded them onto my PC.. Is this kind of thing common with DHD's and SD cards?

Al.

Upvote 0
I think I have a spare SD card at home, is it just a case of replacing it in the phone, or is there some system stuff on there which makes that more difficult?

Cheers,
Al.

Al - I think there is some system stuff on there, but I don't think it matters if you haven't got it on the SD already... when I rooted my phone, I had to use a different SD card as a goldcard - this actually took me AGES (to create the goldcard successfully) and, whenever I put the other SD card in my DHD, (even if I'd formatted it in between, so there would be nothing on the card before putting it in the phone), I would mount the SD card and hook up to my laptop as a USB drive and, low and behold, there would be a few files on the SD card... think that's what it may be doing when it says "preparing SD card" (or whatever it is).

Upvote 0
Al - I think there is some system stuff on there, but I don't think it matters if you haven't got it on the SD already... when I rooted my phone, I had to use a different SD card as a goldcard - this actually took me AGES (to create the goldcard successfully) and, whenever I put the other SD card in my DHD, (even if I'd formatted it in between, so there would be nothing on the card before putting it in the phone), I would mount the SD card and hook up to my laptop as a USB drive and, low and behold, there would be a few files on the SD card... think that's what it may be doing when it says "preparing SD card" (or whatever it is).

Thanks for that. I might just try a reformat and run that test utility to see if there's anything dodgy with the card I've got.

Al.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. I might just try a reformat and run that test utility to see if there's anything dodgy with the card I've got.

Al.

If you copy any files you want to save to a folder on your computer and then unmount and format the SD card (from your homescreen select "Menu==> Settings==>Storage==>Unmount SD Card==>Format SD Card").

If you then remount the SD card, you should be good to go... hook your phone up via USB and mount as disk drive - I think that any "system" files should restore themselves - all you need to do then is copy the files from the folder on your computer back to the card and you should be ok!

Reactions: alhenderson
Upvote 0
If you copy any files you want to save to a folder on your computer and then unmount and format the SD card (from your homescreen select "Menu==> Settings==>Storage==>Unmount SD Card==>Format SD Card").

If you then remount the SD card, you should be good to go... hook your phone up via USB and mount as disk drive - I think that any "system" files should restore themselves - all you need to do then is copy the files from the folder on your computer back to the card and you should be ok!

You were right, I backed up my music and photos, Unmounted and Deleted the card (I don't seem to have an option to format). I then ran the H2Testw app and it found no problems. Put my backed up files back on the card and everything appears to be back where it was!

So, no dodgy SD card, guess I'll just have to be sure to get any photos off there ASAP in case it happens again :)

Cheers,
Al.

Upvote 0
You were right, I backed up my music and photos, Unmounted and Deleted the card (I don't seem to have an option to format). I then ran the H2Testw app and it found no problems. Put my backed up files back on the card and everything appears to be back where it was!

So, no dodgy SD card, guess I'll just have to be sure to get any photos off there ASAP in case it happens again :)

Cheers,
Al.

Nice one mate... glad you got it sorted... couldn't remember if it was "format" or "delete"... when I've looked at my phone it is delete, but I was sure I remembered it as format!... improtant thing is that you're all sorted! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones