• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

titch2u

Lurker
Aug 27, 2010
hi can any1 help, i have the sony errisson x10 mine, i can send pics via bluetooth no problem but cant receive anything, i have done the update for bluetoth file transfer but this has not helped, as far as i can see everything is set up right on my phn but stil no joy when ppl sends me pics via bluetooth :(

Get the proper app from the market to solve this.
Don't know why SE gave it BT but failed to back it up with software, possible due to the android 1.6.... but during this month we all get Android 2.1 and a fix I guess.

Also, to enable filetransfer via usb, it helps to enable the usb debug function...if you need to put files other places then the defaults gives you.

Upvote 0
Hi rosered,

Sorry to give you this "standard" answer : "It depends".

Ok, let me try to explain in detail.

1)
The X10 Mini is running Android 1.6 (2.1 later this month if all goes as planned).
2)
You need a third party app for now, called Bluetooth File Transfer.
It's on the marked, made by Mediaval Software, it's free.

And then the "depends" part....

IF your phone is rooted (see other threads about that) you'll be fine and pretty much can do as you like when it comes to bluetooth (and this app on your phone).

IF NOT, then there will be some restrictions.
From now on, I'll assume the phone is NOT rooted.

Using the mentioned app, you'll be able to connecto to ANY device (other cellphone, any brand and any modell and even laptops) to SEND (upload) files FROM your phone.
But that's the easy part.

To recieve files is another story.
Since the phone is not rooted AND running Android 1.6, you'll only be able to SEND files to your phone FROM another Android device running THE SAME app (bluetooth file transfer, as mentioned above).
Not so much fun since this scenario is not very likely to happen every time.

BUT, there's a workaround, as with everything on this planet.

You had it right in your question, yes you do have to use your phone to browse the other part for content, select it and download it to your phone.
But, this will only work with this app AND if the app is able to discover AND browse the other phone/laptop.

To do this, the other phone/laptop must be "discoverable" on the bluetooth net, you have to search for it from the app on your phone, select it and browse. Mark the files you want and select to download them.

This then depends on the other parts ability to share content and not only send.
(i.e. in windows you'll need to place the files in the bluetooth sharing folder, as the mini will look there for files to get from the computer).

So to sum it all up.
Yes the x10 mini can recieve and send files via bluetooth IF certain conditions are met.

For me personally I'm able to send files to the laptop (running windows 7 pro) and the phone is able to browse the "bluetooth shared files" folder on the laptop, get info about the files (even chech the crc32) but I'm not able to download files FROM the laptop TO the phone (initiated from the phone). And I'm not able to send files from my laptop to my phone. (initiaed from the laptop).

So, the best hope is for SE to include this feature in the Android 2.1 update due this month. (If for some reason they choose not to enable this android feature for any reason)

Hope this helps.

Oh, and read the how-to and FAQ for the app here:
Beginner’s Guide To Bluetooth File Transfer

Upvote 0
MiniDroid that was the perfect answer. I answer lots of threads over on SE's forum about this and the water has got soooo muddied by people saying yes you can / no you cant that it was driving me slightly mad!!

I have the X10 big and it all runs fine but no access to the Mini's other than reading peoples experiences. The one I'm thinking was a chap who had a mini pro, a mate who had a mini and another friend who had an X10 biggun. They all could send and receive no problem which is perfectly reasonable then as they all have SE phones running BTFT app.

This was just causing others with mini's to say why can't I. Now I have the answer. I hate giving rubbish advice and others that do so. I'd rather stay silent.

Lets hope this fabled update later this month (!) sorts out all our issues and I can stopped being plagued by blooming Bluetooth.

Thank you again.

Suze x

Upvote 0
Glad I could help Suze :)

The main problem I think is that different builds of the firmware causes different behavior from phone to phone when one tells the world that it's working but forget to tell what conditions it's working under.

My experience with this BT case was with the Norwegian build 1.0.A.1.38 and I've just updated my phone (hoping it was the 2.1 hehe) and now I've got 1.2.A.1.174.

Btw: I just hate the web-based contacts sync app by SE. Would love to have another app that works for this. I lost some addresses stored with some contacts just now :(

The update however gave me 3 new kind of "services" (found in the "Services" tab while looking at the properties of the x10 mini from the laptop's "view BT devices".
- Audio Source
- Headset Audio Gateway
- Remotely Controllable Device
Non of these were there on the previous firmware, and the one that was there is now gone (wops, can't remember exactly what it was called).

But still, no means to send files TO the phone initiated FROM the laptop.
(tested before and after I reinstalled the BT app)
After I installed the BT app I now can browse my laptop from the phone AND transfer a picture in the BT exchange folder on the laptop. (initiated from the phone) But after transfer completes the album app starts and shows the picture. From there I have no way to save it (and I can't find it stored on my phone either).

So...one step closer but not far enough I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Here is the thread that I have posted on SE's site and just updated with the help of your answer. Hope it is pretty clear and concise. (Idiot proof - I think is what I'm say ;-))

Main: Bluetooth - A Definitive Answer...

The Audio thing was on my biggun, I connected via Bluetooth and basically clicked yes to all the pop ups that appeared on my net book. Then thought I had broken my phone cos no ring tone when getting a call... could hear a weird tinny noise tho. Turned out it was my really rubbish netbook speakers turned down low doing the ringing. D'oh!

Roll on 2.1 eh!?

On the photo front, have you got a file manager and have a good look round the sd card. I tranferred over some pics I wanted as contacts then couldn't find them. Once I had the file manager (Astro) they were just sitting at the bottom of the list in the sd card main area.

Upvote 0
If you go into the app and press Menu>More>Settings>Receiving Service (OPP) then select destination folder you can name the file where you want stuff saved so put another forward slash and then pictures maybe? Again a file manager will be a useful piece of kit here!

I have no sub directory set up but if you have astro file manager you get the option to view using either Astro Media Viewer, Mediascape or Open Destination File (?) the pic I just tranferred accross was renamed blueftp_view_54208 using the last option.

OMG don't just click the file, but use the tick box then press menu and select edit then copy then go to your local files and paste. God its simple when you know how!!!

Upvote 0
Well put, more concise and in fewer words then me :)

Aaah, I got a few sms's while fiddling around and wondered where that sound was going hehe.

Hm, good point about astro, I'll re-install it and take a look.
Nope, was nowhere to see and did a search from astro too but nothing found.
So I guess the BT app cleans up after itself.
How rude :) To first transfer the file, let me view it then delete it instead of saving it - it shows that recieving files IS possible.

Upvote 0
Nothing changed since I read it earlier when you posted the link here?
I'll hit refresh on the page some more :)
But your post was perfect the first time I read it.

btw, the "how rude" was me talking to Android and not you :)

Hm, I might have a workaround for that... with other apps to view pictures and files I might be able to copy/paste or save from within those apps.
The default apps that came with the phone are very limited in functions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones