• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Body glove & Slide Concerns

crankerchick

Android Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2009
For anyone using the Body Glove case, I have a question for you.

Has your slider become loose?

I know the case fits snug and causes the keyboard to be tighter opening, but when removed, is your slider actually loser?

I just bought the Body Glove but I'm thinking about returning it. There is some resistance to opening the slider, which I wouldn't mind, if it wasnt causing the slider to actually separate from the screen.

What I mean is, upon looking head on at the side with the headphone jack, I can see the tab where the bottom plate snaps to the phone rubbing with the tab where the front plate snaps to the phone when opening the slider. That's what is causing the resistance, at least on my case. That would be fine except, from that angle and from the angle looking into the micro-usb port, I can see the screen and slider separating a bit when opening the slider. I'm worried about that making the slider loose over time.

I have the body glove case as well and had the same worry. I did not want to exchange it because I like it for a variety of reasons, but the case did "lift" the slider so to speak. What I did was take a knife and shaved down the tab that caused the slider to lift. I actually shaved it all the way down so the tab does not even go over the phone anymore (hope I explained that well). But now it is not as snug in that area of the phone and the case kind of squeaks a tiny bit...no big deal. What I would do if I was you, or could do it all over again, is to shave that tab down, but not all the way to the point where it does not fit over the phone...should keep it from lifting the slider and still keep the case snug against the phone.

Upvote 0
What I did was take a knife and shaved down the tab that caused the slider to lift. I actually shaved it all the way down so the tab does not even go over the phone anymore (hope I explained that well). But now it is not as snug in that area of the phone and the case kind of squeaks a tiny bit...no big deal. What I would do if I was you, or could do it all over again, is to shave that tab down, but not all the way to the point where it does not fit over the phone...should keep it from lifting the slider and still keep the case snug against the phone.
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing if I decide to keep the case. Great minds think alike, LOL!

Upvote 0
I have the body glove. Picked it up with the phone on Nov 6. I like the feel of the case on the phone. And I have dropped the phone (twice!) and the case protected the phone well. Otherwise I am *very* careful with the phone.

I am now on my second case. The first broke off some tabs on the slider piece, and consequently that piece kept falling off. The same thing has just happened to this one as well. It's sure not because I'm hard on the case.

I won't replace it. I'm annoyed. I could have taken my wife out for a bite to eat with that $30.

My slider *is* looser now. I waited for 5 or 6 weeks before pulling off the protective film on the back of the slider, but I don't know the film has anything to do with it.

I notice sometimes now that the slider will begin to open (maybe half an inch) depending on how the phone is rotated on the belt clip. Anyone know if the slider can be snugged up, and how to do it?

Hope that helps,
Dan

Upvote 0
Yes, the flim on the back is different from the issue we are discussing too.

And that is exactly what happened to me the last time I used one of these clip type covers. I kept it on for a long while and then removed it to go naked for a bit and found the my slider was much looser and I basically needed that case on the phone to keep the slider from opening up some.

And on that phone (the HTC Apache), there was no real lock for the screen, so once it started to open just a little in your pocket or on a holster or wherever, the screen would come on and there went your battery.

That's why I strayed away from these types of cases and why I'm inspecting this one so closely. I just ended up ordering a dock for my office, so while I was originally thinking about shaving down the part that was rubbing and seemingly causing the slider to separate, I think I may now just return it since I don't want to deal with taking it on and off everytime I dock it.

Upvote 0
My Seidio case was rubbing along the bottom of the phone right above the Verizon insignia, making a little harder to slide open, I used a nail file to shave some of the tab off.

Better than using a knife to trim the tabs is a finger nail file, its like a light grit sand paper. Most have a buffer on one side to smooth it out more.

BTW, the Seidio is sweet! Slim and sleek, and they now have a desktop cradle and car cradle that works with or without the case, and their extended batteries!

Upvote 0
Scott M. thanks so much for violating your phone for those few minutes to check the slider! Glad to see yours hasn't gotten loose over time. I think my concerns are probably on the side of paranoid, but after having it happen on a previous phone, i just can't help it. I butt dialed many a people thanks to that loose slider and my screen turning on, not to mention the lost battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones