• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boost Mobile 4G IP Configurations

CooLoser

Feb 28, 2012
New York
So i have a nexus s 4g flashed to boost mobile and im attempting to get 4g on it. Since the ns4g is wimax and boost uses sprint wimax i suppose this might work.

Im trying to change the Static Ip info ( via Debug Menu of *#*#33284#*#* ) of IP, GATEWAY, NETMAKS, DNS1, and DNS2 of my device to the boost mobile information, if you have that please share.

also i might need the Wimax Hidden Menu info along witht he specific mode its supposed to be on

So i have a nexus s 4g flashed to boost mobile and im attempting to get 4g on it. Since the ns4g is wimax and boost uses sprint wimax i suppose this might work.

Im trying to change the Static Ip info ( via Debug Menu of *#*#33284#*#* ) of IP, GATEWAY, NETMAKS, DNS1, and DNS2 of my device to the boost mobile information, if you have that please share.

also i might need the Wimax Hidden Menu info along witht he specific mode its supposed to be on

hey there

I am fairly sure you also need the mac address of the wimax radio registered with the 3rd party provider sprint and boost use for 4g service and be on the appropriate plan
on boost the evo design 4g has it s own 50$ 4g plan so if you have the phone cloned with one of those incognitos or mirro phones i doubt you will get it to work
but i might be wrong

Upvote 0
Pretty sure your stuck with 3g with a 4g phone lol which is why in another thread i told some one it was a waste to buy and flash a nexus to boost because it was making a $300+ phone into a huge paperweight as far as i'm concerned when it is designed to be on 4g LTE. But good luck to you if ya manage to do it :)

Upvote 0
Pretty sure your stuck with 3g with a 4g phone lol which is why in another thread i told some one it was a waste to buy and flash a nexus to boost because it was making a $300+ phone into a huge paperweight as far as i'm concerned when it is designed to be on 4g LTE. But good luck to you if ya manage to do it :)

i didnt use the htc evo design 4g, i used a samsung prevail as a donor, it was a pretty small screen and got boring and couldnt do much for me. I wanted to get a device with ICS so i got the sprint ns4g and flashed it to boost...
I just need to get the right WiMax Number to enter into the menu so 4g might be able to work, its worth a shot

Upvote 0
I think in order to port over a 4g phone and have working 4g, you will probably need to use a 4g donor phone as well. Using an esn from a 3g phone will most likely result in problems.

not true. wimax 4g is run on clear wire and has nothing to do with sprint. In fact you can purchase clear wire hotspot devices and use those settings to get 4g on your phone.

Upvote 0
I think in order to port over a 4g phone and have working 4g, you will probably need to use a 4g donor phone as well. Using an esn from a 3g phone will most likely result in problems.

No you dont need a 4g esn. You need the WiMax menu configurations. This is the same for all devices no matter what. Do you mind sharing me the ones you have?
I need the...:
Wimax IP menu info
- IP
- Gateway
- Netmaks
- DNS1
- DNS2

Wimax CT Hidden Menu info:
- MAC Address
FA Index
Max num of used FA
BW

And wimax mode

found it

*#*#33284#*#*

Upvote 0
I'll try and look up the 4g settings.

The reason I believe that 4G might not work without a 4g donor is because the WiMaxx system needs to have some form of authentication system to keep off un-paying customers who might try and mooch off their networks. 4G phones have a separate ESN code for their 4G radios. I've checked mine and it has a separate ESN for the 4G radio. You might be able to use the the one your target phone has, but don't hold your breath.

EDIT: Can't seem to find that info. Either the phone is using the connection info from the 3G radio (when it comes to DNS/IP) or I don't know the correct hidden menu to access it. Your hidden menu code doesn't work on my device. I tried ##Debug# and ##DATA#, but those seem to only go so far as to provide the IP for the 4G and not gateway and DNS. IP is always dynamically assigned to you, so manually setting that one is probably not a good idea.

Also under WiMaxx in the DATA hidden menu it has a NAI setting which appears to be the account name for the 4G on for the phone. It is the same as the 4G ESN but with the sprintpcs URL added on to the end just like with a 3G data NAM setting. Thus supporting the idea that you need a 4G donor phone to provide that info.

If your nexas was on Sprint originally, the only thing you really need to change is the NAI (the identity to your 4G radio) since Boost and Sprint uses the same towers for the 4G and thus the DNS and IPs will be the same or at the least compatible between the two. I've used IP settings from my sister's Sprint 3g phone before back when I had my prevail. They were both interchangeable and some even matched.

I recall seeing entries for M.I.Ps accounts in a EPST hidden menu. Is that the separate account info for the 4G? I can take another look at those.

EDIT: Here's some screenshots of my M.I.P settings screen (I recall the Prevail did not have a M.I.Ps because it was blank when I looked at it in QPST. So I think M.I.P is used by the 4G radio)

(click to enlarge)

(in bottom screen shot "Home Address" is always 0.0.0.0. It's shown like that on my other phones I've had and on this one. DO NOT attempt to program it to a custom IP. I tried that. Got connection problems on reboot. So leave that one alone. ;) )

I censored out my unique account info, but indicated what areas are different for 4G. It appears to use the same IP information as the 3G radio. Device NAI for the 4G radio is unique and not the same as the ESN used on the NAI for the 3G radio.

There are two strings here that identify you to the network. One is the device NAI which tells the network what device you are using (sorta like a MAC address) so that the carrier knows whether or not that device is valid and supposed to be on the network and whether or not that ESN is in service.

Then there's the account NAI which is shared by both the 4G radio and 3G radio. (for Boost/Sprint anyway) That identifies the customer account the above device ESN is attached to. Both will probably need to match (aka device ESN for 4G radio must be on file in your account, thus you must activate a 4G phone on your boost mobile account and use that ESN that you activated with Boost to recognize it) for the network to accept that connection.

So I'm double sure you NEED to have a 4G donor phone. The only donor phone available for Boost is of coarse the Evo Design.

I'm vaguely familier with Clear-wire. They probably lease service from the 4G towers. But they are NOT the same as the 4G used by Boost/Sprint. They might use the same towers but they likely use different servers and different IPs to route data connections through. Same goes for account information. It's like saying that you have a phone that connects to a 3G tower for AT&T and then based solely on that, you can simply move that phone to a 3G tower used by for example Sprint without ever registering the account information for that phone on the other carrier. Any account you create on ClearWire is SEPARATE from that of Boost Mobile or Sprint since they do NOT share that info. ;) (in my analogy, we shall pretend that "roaming" doesn't exist, that and if roaming does exist for 4G phones, it is most certainly not available on Boost because they don't even allow roaming at all on their phones.)

EDIT (again): I've pulled the battery and looked at the sticker that has my ESN info. The WiMaxx radio does indeed have it's own unique ESN from that of the ESN from the ESN used for the CDMA/GSM side of the phone.

Upvote 0
No you dont need a 4g esn. You need the WiMax menu configurations. This is the same for all devices no matter what. Do you mind sharing me the ones you have?
I need the...:
Wimax IP menu info
- IP
- Gateway
- Netmaks
- DNS1
- DNS2

Wimax CT Hidden Menu info:
- MAC Address
FA Index
Max num of used FA
BW

And wimax mode

found it

*#*#33284#*#*

You also need your spc - Master Subsidy Lock code to edit those settings permanently. To really do this you need your AA key and your AAA key, from each esn, they use the esn, the hex and the dec, to create the keys, one from each esn. Just use dfs, cdma tool, QPST and QXDM and your spc(service programming code or MSL) and you can do it. I use basic_flasher to get the msl on LG's. Hit ##3424# check "Diag Mode" then "charge only" back in the phone menu, read you usb port, connect and read spc/msl. While your doing this you can also google home Wimax settings for your area, use those and the ones uniquely generated for your handset, home settings tell your phone what channel to listen to and the unique settings tell the data you requested where to go. That's your ip/mac address.
You just need loads of coffee/mountain dew/rockstar, time off work/life in general, the ability to unbrick your phone and not fold it in half, or hurl it into the wall, and lots of drive and hyperfocus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones