• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] KitKat ND8 update

Here's a quick guide on how to snag the OTA tarball from Kies before it flashes itself to your phone. I haven't heard of anyone officially getting it yet, but I'm sure it'll be here soon. Timing is everything, so make sure you're quick before the file deletes itself!
1. Click on Start->Run, enter %temp% and press ENTER. First thing before you go into Kies, clear this folder out.
2. Keep that explorer window open and handy. I also suggest open another to where you want to copy it to(create new folder on desktop and keep it open).
Open Kies, let it download. As soon as it starts flashing, look for a folder with the tarball or search for .tar.md5 in the %temp% folder you have open. Copy/paste it to your new folder. Done. Congrats, you

Upvote 0
Here's a quick guide on how to snag the OTA tarball from Kies before it flashes itself to your phone. I haven't heard of anyone officially getting it yet, but I'm sure it'll be here soon. Timing is everything, so make sure you're quick before the file deletes itself!
1. Click on Start->Run, enter %temp% and press ENTER. First thing before you go into Kies, clear this folder out.
2. Keep that explorer window open and handy. I also suggest open another to where you want to copy it to(create new folder on desktop and keep it open).
Open Kies, let it download. As soon as it starts flashing, look for a folder with the tarball or search for .tar.md5 in the %temp% folder you have open. Copy/paste it to your new folder. Done. Congrats, you

Upvote 0
I have another thread where people have confirmed getting an ota from Virgin Mobile. Its here: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=847164
Can anybody provide a .zip from a virgin mobile ota update?

I'm excited for you guys. KK is pretty smooth. I have the Sprint variant running on my S3(the my wife has since I upgraded to the S5), and it's nice. Let me know when it drops and someone catches the tar ball and I'll cook the flashable zips for everyone

Reactions: smith058
Upvote 0
I'm excited for you guys. KK is pretty smooth. I have the Sprint variant running on my S3(the my wife has since I upgraded to the S5), and it's nice. Let me know when it drops and someone catches the tar ball and I'll cook the flashable zips for everyone

Yep, nice and smooth. I'm on the Sprint variant too running Wicked-X. It's a nice ROM and getting better with every update. :thumbup::D

Edit: It's going to be interesting to see if the Boost modem helps or hurts signal reception. We should be able to just flash the modem tar with Odin. Either that or wait on someone to make flashable modem zip.

Upvote 0
I wish it were that simple. Knox is embedded in the modem it seems. That is how some guys bricked. As of now we can't separate the two. And once you get the kk modem, you're stuck with it. Flashing down kills radio because jb modems are not compatible with kk bootloader. Additionally, for me anyway, the nd8 modem(on my boost s3) actually degraded my 4g lte as compared to mk5, but I may be the minority on that.

Upvote 0
I wish it were that simple. Knox is embedded in the modem it seems. That is how some guys bricked. As of now we can't separate the two. And once you get the kk modem, you're stuck with it. Flashing down kills radio because jb modems are not compatible with kk bootloader. Additionally, for me anyway, the nd8 modem(on my boost s3) actually degraded my 4g lte as compared to mk5, but I may be the minority on that.

Right. I know reverting back to the JB modems isn't possible. As long as we are on the new bootloader, changing back and forth between ND8 and the new Boost Kit Kat modem should be OK shouldn't it? Since both have Knox, that won't be a factor or will it?

Upvote 0

If you go read the official sprint forum there are lots of complaints about very poor LTE reception on ND8. Anyone like me who only gets 1 or 2 bars at home can forget LTE it sounds like. Is this what you're noticing?

Upvote 0
If you go read the official sprint forum there are lots of complaints about very poor LTE reception on ND8. Anyone like me who only gets 1 or 2 bars at home can forget LTE it sounds like. Is this what you're noticing?

Its nothing to do with the KitKat upgrade Samsung decided to change the radio to start dropping LTE when in fringe of areas 1900 PCS LTE (-110dB or greater). Usually in this case when in a fringe area of LTE a device either would try to hang on to LTE for as long possible whether the signal is weak and fragile and not even usable/very slow or drop it and stay on 3G eHRPD/EV-DO.

Reactions: smith058
Upvote 0
Its nothing to do with the KitKat upgrade Samsung decided to change the radio to start dropping LTE when in fringe of areas 1900 PCS LTE (-110dB or greater). Usually in this case when in a fringe area of LTE a device either would try to hang on to LTE for as long possible whether the signal is weak and fragile and not even usable/very slow or drop it and stay on 3G eHRPD/EV-DO.

That is a very good distinction. But, the fact is that the Samsung modem with Knox and LTE sensitivity is included in the ND8 Google Kitkat update. They come together, the good and the bad. Important thing to know before you upgrade if you are used to a weak LTE signal that is still better than 3g. If you primarily use Wifi, it is not as big a deal.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
I was in Bakersfield today and had decent LTE all over the place.

Also, just FYI for anyone who takes the Sprint update, my MMS didn't work so instead of going in and manually changing it, I flashed the Boost APN fix. I swear LTE reception got better too after flashing it. I was picking up LTE in very low radio signal areas. The reason I say this is because the pharmacy I go to in Bakersfield has always had terrible signal in their parking lot. I mean ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! It's just one of those dead zone areas you run across in cities from time to time. I went by the pharmacy to drop off my wife's prescriptions. To may surprise, I saw that LTE was showing on my screen. I tried it and my mbps were decent.

Reactions: steelyus1
Upvote 0

The very weak LTE at my house is usable. When I roll over to eHRPD on occasion it is not. Nothing ever loads. Thankfully I have wifi at home but it's still nice to have LTE when I need it.

Reactions: steelyus1
Upvote 0
Important thing to know before you upgrade if you are used to a weak LTE signal that is still better than 3g. If you primarily use Wifi, it is not as big a deal.

This is not necessarily true as the more advanced the wireless technology the more fragile the signal/spectrum becomes and a greater challenge to get that signal to reach as many people as possible. Fringe LTE on 1900 PCS (Band 25) can be very usable at -110dB or greater but the the quality of the air link has to be sufficient to support a weak signal, when the quality of the air link starts to degrade which is highly likely LTE becomes more of a burden and you should just be shunted off of it and placed back on 3G eHRPD/EV-DO.

I'm sure most of you have observed when there isn't an LTE signal it will drop to 3G eHRPD/EV-DO, if that signal is insufficient it will drop down to 1x RTT (Radio Transmission Technology), and if that signal is insufficient you will have no service. Ever been out in an rural area and only have 1x RTT? This is because 1x isn't as fragile as 3G eHRPD/EV-DO and 3G eHRPD/EV-DO isn't as fragile as LTE.

A rule of thumb, add about 10dB to whatever technology your connected to and that will give you a estimate of what you can expect from either 3G or LTE.

i.e Say my 1x RTT voice signal was hovering around -79dB thats a pretty darn solid so expect to get around -88 to -91dB on 3G eHRPD/EV-DO and -98 to -102dB on LTE.

So what is a good LTE connection?

Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal <---Must be nice! (indoor LTE coverage if getting these results outdoors)
Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal <--- Your lucky (indoor LTE if getting these results outdoors)
Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair <---expect mixed performance (outdoor use only, don't expect indoor coverage)
Worse than -113dBm RSRP is poor <---might as well stay on 3G

Upvote 0
The very weak LTE at my house is usable. When I roll over to eHRPD on occasion it is not. Nothing ever loads. Thankfully I have wifi at home but it's still nice to have LTE when I need it.

More than likely the site hasn't seen the 3G CDMA side of things integrated with the new high-speed backhaul, once that is done expect speeds above 1Mbps on 3G.

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones