• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bootloader unlock / S-OFF / root confusion (CyanogenMod to HTC Sensation)

peepay

Jun 6, 2011
Hello everyone, lately I have been collecting pieces of information needed to root my HTC Sensation (international, not the US 4G version) and install CynogenMod 9. I thought it would be easy using the Revolutionary tool, however, I found out that after the official upgrade to ICS issued by HTC, the phone's HBOOT was upgraded to 1.27.0000 and Revolutionary has no support for this version yet.

Therefore, I was forced to look for an alternative method, but that's where I'm stuck now. Every method has some catch in it - you need to be rooted in advance, you need to have the bootloader unlocked using htcdev.com, you need S-OFF, you need this, you need that...

When I start to feel confident that I will manage to perform all the steps, I run into something new that makes me totally confused, because all the methods I read about are just partial, they say do this and this and then go to this link and do steps 7-11 from that guide and afterwards do the steps described at this link etc.

Also, each of the guides has different prerequisites, one says you need root, but no S-OFF, the other says you need S-OFF and unlocked bootloader, the other says you need custom boot image, another warns about matching firmware versions...

And then I don't know what I actually have to do, when I will be following just parts of each of the guides, and it confuses me, since I am not pretty sure what is a precondition to root, or what is the difference between S-OFF and unlocked bootloader, or generally what is a dependency or precondition of what.

The other issue is that when I tried to unlock my bootloader using htcdev.com, it fails - apparently because of IMEI and S/N mismatch, as suggested in one thread at XDA (my main board has been replaced by HTC due to dust under the screen).

So, to get to the point - is there anyone willing to give me a step by step guide (from scratch) on what steps exactly I need to do in order to get CyanogenMod to my HTC Sensation?

My HBOOT version is 1.27.0000, Android version 4.0.3 (official ICS by HTC), ROM version 3.32.401.5, it is not carrier-branded.

Thank you a lot!

in order to truly enjoy the sensation,imo you should make every effort to become s-off and superCID.

the prefered method would be to htcdev unlock,then run juopunut bear to achieve s-off,then manually write supercid with a simplefastboot command.

it may be worth a call to htc to see if there is anything they can do to get you a working unlock_code.bin,as at this time it seems htcdev unlocked is a somewhat more stable way to do it. the timing of the wire trick isnt quite as critical with htcdev as it is with temp root.

failing that,jp bear will work with temp root now,so looks like 2 good options on xda:

1)you can use this tool:
[GUIDE] Juopunutbear S-OFF NO VOID WARRANTY| ROOT (1.2x HBOOTS)--NEW: ONE CLICK ROOT - xda-developers

it will temp root your phone,then you can run control bear after,then install recovery.

you do not need to worry so much about your firmware at this time,as you are on ICS and thus have compatible firmware for cm9.

your basic steps will be:
-run temp root tool
-run juopunut bear(make sure you use a small,spare sd card and protect your good one)
-install a recovery(a couple different ways,i will give more details when you get to this point- i dont want to overwhelm you with directions)
-install cm9/gapps

2)use this all in one tool:
[TOOL][10 JUNE] HTC Sensation/XE/4G Super Utility (AIO) by kgs1992 v6.6 - xda-developers

it will supposedly do everything for you.

when i got my sensation it was still on hboot 1.18 so i was able to use revolutionary. however,i have used htcdev and jupounut bear on several rezounds.

both methods above will use juopunut bear for s-off. the first method is more manual. the second is more automated,so just select wich one you prefer to use,i do not believe one is any better than the other.

i have not used either tool,but post up any questions you may have and ill do my best to help you :)

Reactions: peepay
Upvote 0
Firstly, thanks for willing to guide me.
I contacted HTC and they said they are having some kind of a maintenance on htcdev.com from July 1 to July 22, and they recommend to try to unlock after that date. That is pretty soon, so I will try that and post here whether I succeed or fail. (If I fail again, I will first contact HTC if they have something to say.)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
awsome. let us know how that goes.

if you are successful,then i would reccomend simply:
-htcdev unlock
-juopunutbear s-off
-install recovery
-become superCID
-flash rom

that is the process i used on my rezound. install recovery and superCID we will go into greater detail when you are ready.

i would also go ahead and download a stock RUU in case you need it,from:
here:
FileFactory Premium
or
here:
Shipped ROMs

Upvote 0
When July 22 was gone, I tried it again, but it failed of course.
HTC wants to escalate the issue (they asked for my S/N and so on) but I am reluctant to do that, due to my experience with them - as of today, no issue that I sent them has been resolved; I have no reason to believe this will be different.
However, since you said that unlocking on htcdev.com is more reliable - if I did that, can I still use the KGS1992's tool for the rest of the steps? I kind of like it because I don't need to switch tools, it is all done automatically and from one program.
So, can I unlock bootloader by htcdev.com and then do the rest with KGS1992's tool?
*EDIT*
Or, if I choose to use the KGS1992's tool entirely, which steps do I need to take (I believe not all of the options the tool can do) and in which order?
Am I guessing right if I used the tool in this order? S-OFF > Root > Install 4EXT recovery > SuperCID > Flash CyanogenMod zip file from recovery

Upvote 0
When July 22 was gone, I tried it again, but it failed of course.
HTC wants to escalate the issue (they asked for my S/N and so on) but I am reluctant to do that, due to my experience with them - as of today, no issue that I sent them has been resolved; I have no reason to believe this will be different.
However, since you said that unlocking on htcdev.com is more reliable - if I did that, can I still use the KGS1992's tool for the rest of the steps? I kind of like it because I don't need to switch tools, it is all done automatically and from one program.
So, can I unlock bootloader by htcdev.com and then do the rest with KGS1992's tool?
*EDIT*
Or, if I choose to use the KGS1992's tool entirely, which steps do I need to take (I believe not all of the options the tool can do) and in which order?
Am I guessing right if I used the tool in this order? S-OFF > Root > Install 4EXT recovery > SuperCID > Flash CyanogenMod zip file from recovery

my impressions are that you need to htcdev unlock before using KGS1992s tool,but that may be wrong,as ive never used it. if you do htcdevunlock,then the tool can be used for the rest of the steps.

if you want to go the temp root route,then you can do all the steps with the tool.

i dont know what the menu options of the tool are like,but youll need to(if you cant htcdev unlock):
-temp root
-s-off
-supercid
-install recovery
-flash cyanogen mod and gapps from recovery.

there is no real use to root the stock software,if youve no interest in running it. you can forgo the "root" step and just flash the new rom

i will download the tool,and run it,and see if that gives me any more insight or advice to give you :)

edit:
it also helps to watch the video in his thread full screen on you tube: JuopunutBear S-OFF on HTC Sensation by kgs1992 (Details in desc.) - YouTube!

here is what the main menu looks like:
Code:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+                                                                       +
+ Here are the available options:                                       +
+ 1. Reboot options                                                     +
+ 2. S Off                                                              +
+ 3. Install 4EXT recovery (compatible with all S Off/ HTC Dev unlocked)+
+ 4. Root device (ALL!)                                                 +
+ 5. Write Super CID (compatible with only S Off)                       +
+ 6. Install Firmware                                                   +
+ 7. Install Zip from recovery                                          +
+    (compatible with all S Off/ HTC Dev unlocked)*                     +
+ 8. Install PG58IMG.zip                                                +
+ 9. Flash boot.img (compatible with all HTC Dev unlocked/S Off)        +
+ 10. Flash ENG Hboot (Compatible only with S Off devices with          +
+ locked bootloader)                                                    +
+ * =Needs custom recovery installed                                    +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i havent run the tool on a phone(im allready s-off and running cm) but looks like youll want to run his menu options in this order:
4. Root device (ALL!)
2. S Off
3.Install 4EXT recovery (compatible with all S Off/ HTC Dev unlocked)
5. Write Super CID (compatible with only S Off)

then you can manually place the cm and gapps zips on your sd card,and flash them in recovery.

Reactions: peepay
Upvote 0
HTC has escalated my issue and hopefully they'll come up with a solution.

To sum it up, this is what I do if I choose not to use htcdevunlock:

looks like youll want to run his menu options in this order:
4. Root device (ALL!)
2. S Off

then you can manually place the cm and gapps zips on your sd card,and flash them in recovery.

However, if I choose to go the htcdev way and I successfully unlock bootloader using their tool, which step from the above should be replaced by it, and does the order remain the same?
(I suppose that S-OFF is replaced by htcdevunlock, but I am not sure)

Also, writing Super CID says it is only supported with S-OFF. If I do htcdevunlock, is there another way to write Super CID, or do I actually need to do it in that case?

Upvote 0
However, if I choose to go the htcdev way and I successfully unlock bootloader using their tool, which step from the above should be replaced by it, and does the order remain the same?
(I suppose that S-OFF is replaced by htcdevunlock, but I am not sure)
understand that htcdev unlock is only being used as a means to give juopunut bear root access. the reason that it is recomended over taco root,is that for some reason the timing when doing the "wire trick" is not quite as critical when using htcdev unlock,in theory making it alittle easier.

so if you can get the htcdev unlock issue resolved,you will

-htcdev unlock,flash recovery,flash root files in recovery,resulting in permantly rooted stock software.

run tool and:
2. S Off

-then you can manually place the cm and gapps zips on your sd card,and flash them in recovery.

going the htcdev route will be slightly more work on your part,as youll need to manually install recovery and flash root files.(again,we can get into those directions when your ready)

once youve hctdev unlocked,its alost 6 of one,half dozen of the other weather you runthe tool,or run juopunut bear yourself. installing the recovery and supercid are easy,so the tool isnt really needed,IMO,but use whatever means makes you the most comfortable :)

Also, writing Super CID says it is only supported with S-OFF. If I do htcdevunlock, is there another way to write Super CID, or do I actually need to do it in that case?

no,youll need to s-off for super cid,and to be able to change firmware. definately do NOT be satisfied with htcdev unlock when s-off methods exist,its a PITA. as i said above,htcdev unlock is only used as a means to provide root access for the s-off tool. :)

once youre s-off,all you are going to do to supercid without the use of the tool is enter one fastboot command in your cmd window:

fastboot oem writecid 11111111

thats it :) you really dont need a tool for it!

Upvote 0
Thanks, I am waiting for a reply from HTC and will try their method.
Anyway, I leave for a vacation today and will come back on July 31, hopefully I will have an answer from HTC by that time, so I will try it then and eventually get on the next steps, with your help.
Can I count on you next week? You're like a miracle to me :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, I am waiting for a reply from HTC and will try their method.
Anyway, I leave for a vacation today and will come back on July 31, hopefully I will have an answer from HTC by that time, so I will try it then and eventually get on the next steps, with your help.
Can I count on you next week? You're like a miracle to me :)

i will be here :)

if you have any questions about htcdev unlock and root,you might read thru my rezound guide: http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html

the only difference in the procedure would be that wed find you an image for the ext 4 recovery you want to install,and youll need to use a different superuser to root your ICS.

but the basic steps are definately the same:
1)unlock
2)flash a recovery
3)flash root files in recovery

Upvote 0
A week has passed and no reply from HTC.
I am thinking about going the non-htcdevunlock way:
i havent run the tool on a phone(im allready s-off and running cm) but looks like youll want to run his menu options in this order:
4. Root device (ALL!)
2. S Off
3. Install 4EXT recovery (compatible with all S Off/ HTC Dev unlocked)
Is there any catch I should be prepared for? Or do I just run the tool (of course according to the manual), choose the respective options and it should be done?

Upvote 0
A week has passed and no reply from HTC.
I am thinking about going the non-htcdevunlock way:

Is there any catch I should be prepared for? Or do I just run the tool (of course according to the manual), choose the respective options and it should be done?
pretty much just run the tool and do the respective options :)

the only catch i can think of is to use a small spare sd card for s-off,as there are some cases of them being wiped,and damaged beyond repair :eek:

you should also watch the videos from the tool,and from juopunutbear,so you know how to preform the "wire trick" when needed. unforutnately,the tool does not eliminate the need for you to physically do this.

Upvote 0
Whoah, the steps include the wire trick as well?
I did not see it anywhere in KGS1992's tool description.

I thought the tool is an alternative to the juopunutbear tool with wire trick.

After all, the KGS1992's tool says it provides S-OFF, doesn't that mean you just select the option and it will do S-OFF?

Upvote 0
Whoah, the steps include the wire trick as well?
I did not see it anywhere in KGS1992's tool description.

I thought the tool is an alternative to the juopunutbear tool with wire trick.

After all, the KGS1992's tool says it provides S-OFF, doesn't that mean you just select the option and it will do S-OFF?

no,sorry,it doesnt... the tool is actually running juopunut bear for you,so youll see all the same instructions on your screen as if youd manually run it. when its time for the wire trick,control bear(or the tool) will tell you "do wire trick now". thats your cue :)

s-off on these newer,complex phones require the s3 processor to be put into a special mode in order for the the tool to procede,so pysically doing the wire trick is going to be part of what ever road you take :)

Upvote 0
The wire trick drives me crazy!
As of now, I have tried it exactly 17 times and it always ends with

Checking alcohol level......
Let's take one more......
S-OFF Failed
Errorcode: 66732337
ErrorMsg: Still sober
Quit....
Press ENTER to exit.....

I have tried several time intervals and so on, but nothing changes.
What baffles me that most times the phone disconnects and restarts as soon as I make the first touch, so the second touch, 1.75 seconds later, is actually done on a disconnected, restarting phone. Is that OK?
Other times I may do several touches and it does not react at all...

Upvote 0
im actually not sure what was happening on the front screen when i did the wire trick on my phones :eek:

only thing that comes to mind is are you sure youre touching the correct pin? if do,then the timing must not be quite right. thats what supposeldy makes htcdev unlocking a little easier,as the wire trick timing is for some reason not as critical

Upvote 0
Well, I will continue trying tonight.
If I don't succeed and eventually HTC sends me working Unlock_code.bin, can I still use it and make the wire trick timing less important, even though I have already started the steps (and successfully finished first step, rooting, without the htcdev unlock)?

Upvote 0
yes,no reason you couldnt use htcdev unlock if they happen to get you a working unlock_code.bin.

did you look at the instructions,here: Instructions | Unlimited.IO

and then the video/instructions here: HTC Sensation | Unlimited.IO

hopefully it is just a timing issue,and not something to do with the same reason that htcdev is not working!

when ive done the wire trick,i noticed that if you get the wire at a lil bit of an angle thru the hole,it may not contact the pad underneath.

also,when i do it,i just count in my head: touch.. one.. two.. touch.. one.. two.. touch.. and keep doing that,until the control bear comand window changes. the touched are suposed to be 1.75 sec apart,so dont cound seconds(1 mississippi,2 mississippi)

searching or asking in the tools thread,or the jp bear thread for others that have used the temp root method may give you some tips on getting it accomplished.

wish i could be of more help. you need to get thru the s-off portion so we can do the rest :(

Upvote 0
After a week that HTC was "playing dead", I contacted them and they promised to get me an update on the escalated issue, but I am losing my hopes.

sorry they are not fixing your prollem :( hopefully they will do so soon,and then the wire trick will be easier.

i have alot of fun flashing different RUUs on my sensation,no one should be denied that pleasure! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones