• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bottom Keys - Home, Menu, Back and Search do not Light Up

As my subject line suggests, my Home, Menu, Back and Search buttons on the Bottom of the phone do not light up at any time.

The Only time I see them light up is when I press the power button either off or on. The lights do not stay on...

I did some research and found that the Inc keys were too bright for some. It was mentioned that the lights come on according to how much light is in your room.

I took my phone into a dark room and turned it on/off and the key lights will not stay on. They light up for a split second when I turn the phone on or off, but will not stay on.

Is this normal on the TB or do I have something not set right? Are others seeing them light up when their touched?

Thanks,
Dennis

Mine stay on untill the lcd shuts off... DEFINATLY something wrong. Take it back!

*If anyone cant receive phone calls, call customer service, tell them the problem, let them transfer you to "teir 2" and they will fix it. (happend to me this past week and taking it to the vzw store does not help, now I gotta beat all the first angry birds levels again =( )

Upvote 0
Definitely have it exchanged. I believe today is day 14 in the exchange period if you got it on launch, so you should receive a brand new replacement.

I received mine on the 28th of March... I'm a Android Noobee, so I am pretty disappointed that I may have to send it back...

If I send it back what happens to all my apps that I've installed? Man I spent a lot of time installing my phone numbers, addresses, apps and other stuff...

Is there a way to copy these files using Astro to my computer then copying them over to my new phone?.. Or will these be lost when I get my new phone? I feel pretty at ease with this phone already.

Thanks,
Dennis

Upvote 0
I received mine on the 28th of March... I'm a Android Noobee, so I am pretty disappointed that I may have to send it back...

If I send it back what happens to all my apps that I've installed? Man I spent a lot of time installing my phone numbers, addresses, apps and other stuff...

Is there a way to copy these files using Astro to my computer then copying them over to my new phone?.. Or will these be lost when I get my new phone? I feel pretty at ease with this phone already.

Thanks,
Dennis

Your paid apps will show in the market when you set up your new phone with your email address.

For everything else, sign up for and downloand AppBrain. It's free in the market and syncs all of your apps. When you get the new phone, install AppBrain and start the installations.

If you're syncing your contacts to Google, you're fine. They'll all come back on the new phone as well.

You will have to go through and tweak all of your settings again, though. But if you call in for a replacement, they'll send it out to you and you'll still have the old phone as a "guide."

Reactions: dlt123me
Upvote 0
Your paid apps will show in the market when you set up your new phone with your email address.

For everything else, sign up for and downloand AppBrain. It's free in the market and syncs all of your apps. When you get the new phone, install AppBrain and start the installations.

If you're syncing your contacts to Google, you're fine. They'll all come back on the new phone as well.

You will have to go through and tweak all of your settings again, though. But if you call in for a replacement, they'll send it out to you and you'll still have the old phone as a "guide."

Thanks lamoglinsgal I believe you saved me a lot of heart ache...

I'm a Noobee to the Android world and only recently bought my TB... I realize there are many veterans here, but I thought I would share my list of apps that I've installed... You might find something that appeals to you...

Here is my list of save apps on AppsBrain.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Upvote 0

Try a hard reset and see if that helps. They should be coming on when u put your hand over the proximity sensor that's located on the top of the screen under the ear piece. If that's not happening, then YES, there's something wrong and I would get it exchanged.

Thanks guys... both of your suggestions worked... I did a system reset and my lights came back on.

I'm in the process of installing my mail accounts and apps...

I'm wondering if my problem didn't come from a skin I downloaded and installed. I really like the skin, but if I install it again and it is the culprit, how do I uninstall the skin to remove it from my phone.

Thanks guys I appreciate your help. I don't have to send my phone back.

Dennis

Upvote 0
Thanks guys... both of your suggestions worked... I did a system reset and my lights came back on.

I'm in the process of installing my mail accounts and apps...

I'm wondering if my problem didn't come from a skin I downloaded and installed. I really like the skin, but if I install it again and it is the culprit, how do I uninstall the skin to remove it from my phone.

Thanks guys I appreciate your help. I don't have to send my phone back.

Dennis

No problem man, always here to help!
To remove a skin just go into the skins setting, press the menu key and you should be able to delete it...I believe the only ones you cant delete are the ones that came with the phone.

Side note- Thats great that you didnt have to return it! Good to always get a wide range of solutions from Forum Members, and try to solve the problem before returning a phone for something that could be software related, and easily solved....
Glad it worked out Dennis.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones