• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Breaking into the smartphone world: HTC One V or the Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

My 2-year flip-phone contract with AT&T has come to an end and I'm finally considering my first smartphone. I would prefer a no-contract phone, and have come down to two main considerations:

First, is the HTC One V through Virgin Mobile. This month RadioShack has them for $149, and the VM plan of $45 (unlimited text, data up to 2 gigs or so before throttling, 1200 minutes) would fit my needs.

Second, is Google's Samsung Galaxy Nexus for $349. I am thinking to use the Straight Talk service for this option, as they have a decent deal of $45 for unlimited text, data up to 2 gigs or so before throttling, unlimited minutes.

I live in Columbus, OH. So far my AT&T service is 'ok', so Straight Talk (using AT&T and T-Mobile) would be fine. I don't know how Sprint's connection is here but I assume Virgin Mobile wouldn't be significantly worse.

The reason I am considering the Nexus over the One V is that the One V is tied to Virgin Mobile. I think this means it is more difficult to resell the One V in this case (although I don't really plan to change phones for a while). The other reason is that the Nexus seems to have significantly better specs with a dual-core processor, better resolution, etc along with jellybean thrown in.

Which phone would be the better option at this time? I don't plan to play many games, mostly using it for quick web browsing/gps. I'm hoping to keep the phone for a while too, seems like the Nexus would be worth the investment. Or are there other phones/plans that could be potentially better suited for my case? Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones