• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricked Nexus 5

Zahlo

Lurker
Oct 24, 2015
My little brother has a Nexus 5 running android 6.0 and on tuesday he decided it was a good idea to root his device. He doesn't have alot of experience with rooting and when i came home from school his device was stuck in the loading screen, the four moving dots. Recovery mode does not work, and I suspect his phone is bricked.
I have no idea what he used to root it, but I think the problem occured because he didn't use a root compatible with 6.0.
Is there any way for me to unbrick his phone easily? I'd rather not download alot of stuff, as I haven't read myself up on this stuff yet.

Thanks in advance.

At the moment, to root Android 6.0, you need to first flash a modified boot image before flashing the root install package.

Chainfire is still working-out whether or not a special boot image will be required for future roots, but for now it is for 6.0.

You should always be able to flash a Nexus device back to a factory state (note, this will wipe the device). Here are a few links (the first of which is Google's, the second of which was written by our own @jhawkkw):

If you're still wanting to root, you might want to use this all-in-one utility:

Best of luck!

Reactions: Hook
Upvote 0
Actyually, you can use WUGs to recover. Use "Flash Stock + Unroot" with the "soft bricked/bootloop option checked and it should return you to stock without root. Then you can root it if you want.

I'm guessing this does the "fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-mra58k.zip" without actually using the "-w" (wipe) switch...cool/:cool:.

:)

Upvote 0
WUG is always the go to with Nexus.

Oh sure, if you like not having to hunt down the current adb and fastboot USB drivers, the current Nexus factory images, the current Chainfire root package, finding and using the proper commands to enter correctly and in the right sequence, etc.

He takes all the fun out of it I tell ya!

(Wugfresh and his toolkit are okay, I guess...)

;) :p :D :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones