• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Brief Verizon corded headphone review...

zane!

Jul 3, 2010
SW WA
My Droid X is my primary music player so I usually run corded headphones for simplicity and sound quality. Verizon sells a few different pairs of corded, stereo headphones with microphones built in to use for voice calls too. I also require black headphones, whenever I used white headphones in the past I would get asked about my "ipod"... and I'm on an Android forum for a reason. :D

I initially purchased the Wicked Metallics headphones for 19.99 at Verizon when I first got my X in July. The sound quality was decent but nothing great, but I accepted it. Then after about 1.5 months of use they began to crackle and distort. I exchanged them for another identical pair which began popping within a week. In my unofficial opinion these headphones are a 4/10 at most.

wicked_metallic_blk_earbuds.png

I went in to return them and get something different this time. There was another option from Wicked Audio, the "Jawbreaker" headset with "Super Xtreme bass" (or something like that) for 29.99, but they appeared to have the same quality parts as the cheaper Wicked headphones but with a larger driver. I decided to pass on them since I was turned off from anything made by Wicked Audio. I don't have any need to break my jaw with extreme bass and I'm sure they wouldn't last much longer than my original headphones.

wicked_jawbreaker_blk_earbuds.png

The last option, and the headphones I ended up with, are the Skullcandy "Smokin Buds". I know, ridiculous name... anyway they were 29.99 at Verizon.

The Skullcandy buds are awesome. They sound extremely clear, tight and solid bass, excellent fit and finish, and they even include a nice little carrying bag. I now know the reason that this brand is hyped as much as it is. I'll give them a 9/10 for now since I don't have much time with them, but I think they'll last for the long run.
skulls_earbuds_blk.png

EDIT: Read the next post for an update...

Well, the skullcandy ones got returned too. They did not fit in my ears well, I think the rubber was just too hard . After about 20 minutes of use they would just fall out on their own. The quality was there but the ergonomics didn't work for me.

I did find a pair that I am 100% happy with (as long as they don't break :rolleyes:):

The Ecoustic Eco Dog headset- they are made from "Environmentally Friendly Natural Materials", literally the case is made from hardwood and the plastics are made from natural (and hopefully renewable) resources. Sound quality is great and the rubber ear pieces are super soft and squishy creating a comfortable seal. The price was also 29.99 from Verizon.

ecoustic_stereo_heads_buds.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones