• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Broke my Photon-help cloning replacement

Dropped my Photon the other day. I had the protective case off for a bit because I had the phone in the car dock and was too lazy to put it back in. Thank god for insurance, but not for the $100 deductible.

The screen is cracked, but the phone still works fine. Can anyone direct me on the best way to backup and transfer as many settings and files as possible. Apps (both purchased and free), pictures and videos, documents, bookmarks, contacts, calendar, etc. I am hoping to just be able to get the new phone like a clone of the old one.

Is there an app out there that can help? Is Moto Media Link helpful?

I do have a 32GB SD card installed from day one and I have all apps on the SD card that can be moved to it. I also have all photos and images saved to SD.

Thanks for any help.

Just because you moved your apps to your sd card doesn't mean they are there for your new phone. You need to get a file explorer like Astro or ES file explorer. Both free from the market. They have an app manager that will make a back up file of the app file you need to install your apps on your new phone. Any account that you sign into should remember your settings and what apps you got from them. Sync your calender with google and your calender will be there with your contacts when you sign into google. The only programs that I know of that will "clone" your settings require root. Not exactly what you want but hopefully some help.

Upvote 0
I don't know any programs/apps that'll allow a complete cloning of your settings, without rooting the phone. And even then, I'm not sure how "simple" it is to manage. These are some tips I can give you:

Apps
- Appbrain - I highly recommend using Appbrain to back up your apps over using Astro or other similar apps. Appbrain will store this info on their website and also directly links to the Market. No need to "create" a new account because you can just log in with your google account.
Using Astro and other similar programs for apps that are no longer available in the market, is fine, but Appbrain is better overall for your free apps downloaded from the market.

Contacts/Calendar
- Log onto your gmail account on a PC and just verify that all of your contacts and calendar events are indicated on your gmail account. If they are, those should sync right up once you log into your account on your replacement phone or fixed phone.

Overall Settings
- I know there are paid apps out there that allow you to save some settings. I'm actually just thankful that I use Launcher Pro Plus because there's a backup system that saves majority of the settings on the homescreens with exception to certain widgets.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones