• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help brought new used xperia play

tezlewis1988

Jun 4, 2012
Hi, this is my first smartphone, don't know much about them, it was used and running ICS android 4.0.3, but i know it hasnt been released for this phone, so i'm not sure what to do as i could be missing out on bits of my phone, what would you do? keep this or go back to older version, i know i can't access the ps store and play any playstation games, thats the biggest thing i am missing, plus if i wanted to go back i don't know where to go or what to do, i have downloaded pc companion, but all that says is i am upto date.

thank you

I recommed u to downgrade to 2.3.3 or 2.3.4. Sony is not supporting ICS because of problems with games and worse battery life.

I think that tha best for games is:
gingerbread + custom kernel (keiran's or doomlord's <- which im using) + overclock + undervolt.

It lets u got better proccesor speed (oc) and longer battery life (uv).

Reactions: tezlewis1988
Upvote 0
Use app called "flashtool". Its app to flash .ftf files, officially for x10 but works with all xperia's
Here is tutorial how to use it;
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1384535
There is link to dl also but i dont know if it works [if not look for it on google].
Than here; http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1589399 look for firmware u want [i/a/at/x <- which one is urs].
Than do what tutorial says.

EDIT: I dont know (i never tried it) but maybe u can try to use SEUS. Its sony/se app to "repair" phone, but maybe it can be used to downgrade (???).

EDIT 2: SEUS now is named "Update Service" and can be found here: www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/. Im not sure but i think that this is the same app.

Reactions: tezlewis1988
Upvote 0
I recommed u to downgrade to 2.3.3 or 2.3.4. Sony is not supporting ICS because of problems with games and worse battery life.

I think that tha best for games is:
gingerbread + custom kernel (keiran's or doomlord's <- which im using) + overclock + undervolt.

It lets u got better proccesor speed (oc) and longer battery life (uv).

Would this allow you to operate as an Xperia Play? ie, Can you still access the PS Store (as rubbish as it is) and use Trackid etc?

Upvote 0
If u only flash stock rom u will be able to run ps store and trackid. Ur phone (software) after flashing will be like it was in store so there is no possibility (if flashing was ok) for phone to not be an Xperia Play.

But if u unlock bootloader u lose drm (or sth like this) and u cant use trackid (psstore still works). However i never used trackid (prefer shazam) so i know it only from other users.

So with stock kernel and stock rom ur phone is XPlay, psstore and trackid working.
Stock kernel + stock based rom = the same.
Custom kernel + stock rom = psstore working, trackid not. Phone is XPlay
Custom kernel + custom rom = psstore can work (but not always, depend to rom), trackid not. Ur phone is not XPlay (eg. CyanogenMod - phone is ZEUS - Xplay's codename :-D).

But changing phone name is easy (if u know how) - there is some lines in build.prop

Upvote 0
I did it, got it back to stock, but i am having fuzzy screen and pixelated issues, it was happening on ICS that's why i decided to take it back to stock because i thought it was the software, i think they have conned me out of a broken phone and they are saying you should sent it back within 7 working days, abit sad, what other options would you recommend, sending it to sony? i know that will cost alot, i have only had it for 2 weeks and now i can't have no more fun on it, it keeps freezing and the pages are all over the place, and showing a white fuzzy screen alot

I dont have a clue when it comes to phones, this is my first smartphone.

Upvote 0
I did it, got it back to stock, but i am having fuzzy screen and pixelated issues, it was happening on ICS that's why i decided to take it back to stock because i thought it was the software, i think they have conned me out of a broken phone and they are saying you should sent it back within 7 working days, abit sad, what other options would you recommend, sending it to sony? i know that will cost alot, i have only had it for 2 weeks and now i can't have no more fun on it, it keeps freezing and the pages are all over the place, and showing a white fuzzy screen alot

I dont have a clue when it comes to phones, this is my first smartphone.

Sorry it took me so long to come and post in this thread with an answer. In this case I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you do indeed have a hardware problem with what sounds like the flex cable of the handset. I could not tell you costs, but I would have to advise that you get it looked by an authorised repair agent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones