• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Building Android Carputer, any apps that auto pause/play and screen on/off on charge state

Atominist

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
Hi, I'm building a homemade CarPC/Carputer using an Andoird tablet. I have two questions I'd like to ask to make the build as slick as possible.

First, is there an App that pauses/resumes music depending on charge state. For example when the car is running the tablet will be charging via usb, but when I turn the car off the tablet will not be charging. This is where I'd like an App to auto pause the current music track, and to also auto resume when the car is started again (usb charging).

Second is an App that turns the screen on when charging, off is not so much a problem as the screen will time out anyway when not charging. Something that gets rid of the lock screen, and screen timeout settings would be nice.

I have an Ainol Novo 7 Paladin tablet (ICS 4.0.3) which uses a mips cpu which makes compatibility an issue, but I plan on rooting and installing a custom ROM and Magic code to get most apps working.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks for your time.

Since you're rewritng the ROM, make it turn on the screen, with no lock, when the power comes on. As far as the music app, I'm assuming that you're using the car's stereo to play the music, so I wouldn't worry too much about playing when the power is off. a 42 AH battery will last a long time playing music. Even if you're playing the music through the tab's amp, that car battery will rot of old age before the tab will discharge it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, and usful info. The reason I want to auto pause music is so I don't have physically go through menus and pause tracks, otherwise they will continue to play. I just want to turn the car on and the music resume playing at the same point.

Just been messing with some of the settings on the tablet and it comes on when I plug in USB (charging) which is great, downloaded "No Lock" App, perfect, and used screen timeout options in settings, and stay awake when charging in debugging settings.

I just need some sort of auto pause for the music now ;)

Upvote 0
I use Tasker to automatically start playing music when my phone connects the BT in my car. You could easily configure it instead to start playing when power is applied. You can also use that to disable the display time-out, or you could go into the Developer Options on the tablet and tick the box for "Stay awake", which will prevent the display from ever sleeping while external power is applied.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones