• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bunch DX questions: ROM, Theme, overclock.

Hello Guys!!

I finally got my DX four days ago, and I've been playing with it for like four days lol My gf was mad at me. I love DX so much! It's like my little computer.
anyways, I have some questions, and I hope you guys can help me.

I installed Apex ROM, and revolution theme.
When I installed Apex rom, my phone page looks different. After I installed revolution theme, my phone page looks different again. (like the battery icon shows on the top looks different)
I am wondering what is different between ROM, and Theme?
I also tried to use ROM manager to install the rom, but it didn't work (Maybe cuz it's the free version?) so I just put .zip file into my phone through laptop, and install it via the recover mode.

I decorated all my pages with LLP, and my phone become kinda slow, so I just edit the local.prop file :) (Thanks woop for the root guide, and LexusBrian400 for the Speed up Re-Draws when going back "Home" posted.)
My phone seems faster now? I am not sure yet, I have to try to use it for a little. If my phone still lagging, if there anyway I can fix it?

Last question...what does the Droidx overclock do?
I put my CPU frequency at low voltage MAX 1300 MIN 400 MHz. I didn't feel any different?

ahhh, sorry guys. That was a lot of questions.

sincerely :)

Theme just changes the way it looks. ROM is like using a new OS on a computer or that's the analogy I have seen used. I don't use Rm Mgr but rather Clockwork Recovery Mod Bootstrapper to instal ROMs and do back ups. You should get that app and do a backup after rooting so you have a base to fall back upon.

OC'ing will definitely afect your phone. Web searching is faster and your battery life will go down unless you are using ULV settings to OC. This is my experience anyway and you should not set it to OC upon bootup unless you are super sure it's stable.

Anyway hope that helps, others can validate my response and add to it as well.

Reactions: Shenyu
Upvote 0
Theme just customizes the theme, ROM changes the whole operating system of your mobile. if u want this you should conisder rooting, wich has its downsides.

to speed up ur phone just kill all processes running on background, or (as you already did) overclock your droid wich improves the calculating speed but increases the chance of overheating the phone.

Edit: damn, ninja's by hoffman

Reactions: Shenyu
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones