• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bypassing CLOSED ports in public wifi

noofin

Lurker
Oct 12, 2010
Hi.

I would try to be as brief as possible.

What I want to accomplish:
Use software such as voip etc. etc. on public wifi networks which block the ports for that software.

What I have done:
1.) I have created a ssh server on my PC running Windows 7 64x by following the guide ( How to Setup SSH Server in Windows with freeSSHd/ )
2.) I have installed an App on my phone called " ConnectBot"
3.) I have configured the SSH connection on my phone in the "ConnectBot" app following the guide ( SSH Tunneling On Android | Shantanu's Technophilic Musings )

What I accomplished:
1.) After configuring the SSH server on the PC and the "ConnectBot" on the mobile, I successfully connected them together via SSH. ( That is, I logged onto "ConnectBot" using my SSH server and after entering my SSH password a window with Windows Command Line appeared on my phone ( the black CMD window with C:\Windows\System32> )

What I want to accomplish:
1.) I want to forward ports by using ConnectBot in such a way that my PHONE connects to the pc (through SSH which already works) while on WIFI, and bypassess the blocked ports on WIFI by using the ports from my PC at home.

What I have tried:

App "ConnectBot"

- add port forwarding
- Type: Local
- Source Port: 17333 <-----------------( is this the port which we put into application settings? And then redirect it to the proper one in PC?
- Destination: localhost:80
- Destination: ( PC's IP ie. xxx.xx.xxx.xxx )
- Destination: localhost:17333

When establishing the SSH, and creating a port forwarding, i opened a voip application and for proxy put the localhost:80 or localhost:17333 or my PC's external IP....and nothing works.

The ssh itself works, i can type commands in the Window's CMD, but I want to get the port forwarding to work...]

The good thing is that SSH works perfectly on my phone, and the connection is never interrupted or anything...just the port forwarding is the problem.

Please help ppl :(

I am having the exact same problem.

I have successfully created an SSH tunnel to my PC, and am trying to connect to a Ventrilo server on my PC listening on port 3784.

I am using the local port forward 3784 to localhost:3784.

In the Ventrilo app (Ventriloid) I am using host 127.0.0.1 and port 3784.

However this is not working. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
@noofin

For your voip app's proxy settings put
========================
ip: 127.0.0.1
port: 5901
========================
for Connectbot put
========================
Nickname: VNC
Type: Local
Source Port: 5901
Destination: X.X.X.X:5900 ( where X.X.X.X is your home computer. )
========================

Then the home computer will receive data on port 5900 (change this number as needed for apps listening to that port - if you simply want to forward all traffic from your pc on to the internet, you may want to look into setting up a VPN/Proxy on the PC).

Be sure you have port 22 forwarded on the home computer from your router/NAT/firewall

22 is the default SSH port.

====================
====================

@LordThumper

For your ventriloid app's proxy settings put
========================
ip: 127.0.0.1
port: 3785
========================
for Connectbot put
========================
Nickname: VNC
Type: Local
Source Port: 3785
Destination: X.X.X.X:3784 ( where X.X.X.X is your home computer. )
========================

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones