• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calculator widget...

This is actually a question a friend of mine had for me that I didn't know the answer to. I was setting up his Eris with different home screens and he asked me if there was a calculator widget that took up an entire home screen sort of like some of the calandar widgets do. That way he could just flip to one of his screens and have his calculator there to use... does anyone know if there is such a widget? I've searched on the market a little, but there's soooo many calculators on there it would take me a few days to go through them one by one, install them, then check to see if it has a widget such as this.

If there is not a calculator widget out there that does this, then Scary, I hereby commission you to create your follow up to 'BattmonX'. It will be pretty simple really, just make the widget 4 x 4 with a transparent background and the ability to set the color of the numbers and such to what ever you want so that they will contrast with whatever wallpaper you happen to be running.

Gosh it's nice having our own app creator on this forum! :)

Haha! This would be cool, especially since people call my X a calculator due to it's size. (Yes, usually iphone users.)

Yeah I feel sorry for Texas Instruments and other companies that make the scientific calculators that cost like $150 bucks (like the one I bought in college). Now that they have scientific calculator apps, what would you rather buy, a $150 dollar calculator that does math, or a $199 dollar phone that does EVERYTHING!!!

Seriously, todays smartphones are completely wiping out entire industries... who needs to buy a calculator any more? Who needs to buy a GPS any more? Who needs to buy a PDA any more? Who needs to buy a pocket camera any more? Who needs to buy a camcorder any more? Who needs to buy an MP3 player any more? If you're a small business owner, who needs to buy a credit card machine any more (if you are and haven't seen 'Square' yet, check it out... Square: Android app by Square, Inc. on doubleTwist Android Market)?

And I'm sure they haven't stopped just yet. I'm sure we won't need universal remotes much longer... garage door openers much longer... car alarms much longer... and the list goes on and on. These things really are so incredible they are beyond description. I really feel sorry for those who have held off on taking the leap from their dumb phone to one of todays smart phones. They can't even imagine how much they're missing!

Upvote 0
The expensive ones are the graphing calculators and I really doubt there is an app that is as high quality as even a Ti-83.

Seriously??

The fact that the ti-83 is still required for any class, and that it actually got more expensive since I was in high school and every other piece of electronic equipment from that long ago is obsolete or 1/50th its original cost is downright criminal.

Upvote 0
Free widget
Calculator Widget (Free) - Android app on AppBrain

Paid widget
Calculator Widget - Android app on AppBrain

Paid (with themes) widget
Calculator Widget Themed - Android app on AppBrain

The paid one looks sweet in the 3x3 format with icons surrounding it.

Hellz to the yeah, I just got the 'Calculator Widget Themed'. Exactly what I was looking for, I love this place.

Sorry Scary, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'm quite sure you would have developed an app to blow all three of those out of the market though. You're just that good.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
wow I was looking for a free ti92 emulator for quite some time. I never thoguht android would have one. TI-86 is damn well close enough! I went through several of these in HS and college. 82, 85, 89 and 92+. They all failed or were stolen at some point. The 92 had a pitiful death from battery leakage.

I have pretty much forgotten how to use the damn thing at this point but I'm sure it will come in handy! Now I can tackle those old math books in my free time without needing to invest a couple hundred to see if I am still interested!

This find made my day! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Wait... can we play drug wars on the TI-xx emulators??? ;)

I think I still have my 83 around somewhere. Does anyone remember the differences of the 86 or higher over the 83 version?

86, like the 85 before it worked imaginary numbers and math, matrix algebra, and some calculus functions. biggest difference I can remember.

I still have my 86, but had an 82 before that.

OH and I use realcalc on my dx and love it. that and convert pad

Upvote 0
Hellz to the yeah, I just got the 'Calculator Widget Themed'. Exactly what I was looking for, I love this place.

Sorry Scary, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'm quite sure you would have developed an app to blow all three of those out of the market though. You're just that good.

lol....I just found this thread... I'm a little relieved to tell you the truth :D...

Spent the weekend updating my two apps (and watching football (both kinds ;))) which takes enough time as it is.

Glad Doit2it came through for you...(whew! bullet-dodging completed! :)).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Glad Doit2it came through for you...(whew! bullet-dodging completed! :)).
Cheers!

There's always an "app for that".
Just gotta sift through the 200,000+ other apps to find 'em
That's why I use App Brain and AndroLib to search.
App Brain has it's own app that lets do installs and create a list of the apps on your phone (see my signature).

Upvote 0
App Brain has it's own app that lets do installs and create a list of the apps on your phone (see my signature).

I've seen that before, I believe on EKyle's signature. That's cool, how do you do it? Also, is 'Backup Everything' a pretty good way to back up system + data without rooting? If so I'd like to suggest it to some of my non-rooted friends. I see you have that and 'MyBackup Root'... is this any better than Titanium in your opinion? Or is it just that you're like me and don't like to rely on just one method of backing your device up?

Ahhh... 'Wallpaper Switcher', genius!!! I've been wondering if there was such an app out there, bravo. Seems simple enough perhaps, but this one has me all excited! I'm glad I looked through your apps! ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah I feel sorry for Texas Instruments and other companies that make the scientific calculators that cost like $150 bucks (like the one I bought in college). Now that they have scientific calculator apps, what would you rather buy, a $150 dollar calculator that does math, or a $199 dollar phone that does EVERYTHING!!!

Seriously, todays smartphones are completely wiping out entire industries... who needs to buy a calculator any more? Who needs to buy a GPS any more? Who needs to buy a PDA any more? Who needs to buy a pocket camera any more? Who needs to buy a camcorder any more? Who needs to buy an MP3 player any more? If you're a small business owner, who needs to buy a credit card machine any more (if you are and haven't seen 'Square' yet, check it out... Square: Android app by Square, Inc. on doubleTwist Android Market)?

And I'm sure they haven't stopped just yet. I'm sure we won't need universal remotes much longer... garage door openers much longer... car alarms much longer... and the list goes on and on. These things really are so incredible they are beyond description. I really feel sorry for those who have held off on taking the leap from their dumb phone to one of todays smart phones. They can't even imagine how much they're missing!

well yes, My phone can replace my graphing calculator outside of class but when in an exam they most certainly won't let you use your DX just because it has a TI83 emu. on it. I wish that were the case though

Upvote 0
well yes, My phone can replace my graphing calculator outside of class but when in an exam they most certainly won't let you use your DX just because it has a TI83 emu. on it. I wish that were the case though

That's a damn shame. I understand that on an exam it would be impossible to allow a student access to the internet (wow, makes me feel old when I think that this was never an issue when I was in school! lol). But forcing a student pony up that much money when you could get the same thing for free on you DX (well, I guess I didn't really check that out... were those apps free?) is a damn crime.

They need to come up with a way to jam radio signals during a test so that you could use your device as a calculator while knowing there was no way you were accessing the internet on it. Either that, or supply the calculators their damn selves!

Upvote 0
That's a damn shame. I understand that on an exam it would be impossible to allow a student access to the internet (wow, makes me feel old when I think that this was never an issue when I was in school! lol). But forcing a student pony up that much money when you could get the same thing for free on you DX (well, I guess I didn't really check that out... were those apps free?) is a damn crime.

They need to come up with a way to jam radio signals during a test so that you could use your device as a calculator while knowing there was no way you were accessing the internet on it. Either that, or supply the calculators their damn selves!

Even if you had no internet connection you could still save formulas on it, although you can do that on any of those calculators also but all my teachers would erase your memory before an exam

Upvote 0
Yeah you could easily hide notes in the DX, so I guess that wouldn't work out so well. I just remember when I was in College down at the bookstore buying all the things that were required for my classes. I thought, "damn, as if they haven't already turned me upside down and shook me until all my money fell out of my pockets in the tuition office, now this???

Sometimes it seems like it's all one big scam. Like honestly, why is it that every two years they have to come out with a new Algebra math book edition? Has Algebra changed at all in the past 500 years? No it hasn't, but they change the editions every couple of years so that you have to buy new books instead of picking up used books from last year. That's a damn racket! Seriously everyone is always up in arms over all the corruption in the government, but nobody ever seems to care about the way Universities extort money out of the students on campus.

...ok, I'll step off of my soap box now. :)

Upvote 0
I've seen that before, I believe on EKyle's signature. That's cool, how do you do it?
Once you get App Brain installed and synced on your phone, go to the App Brain website and sign in. You use your Google sign in associated with your phone. Click on "My Apps" at the top of the page. Copy and paste that pages address to your signature here. To edit your signature, click User CP on blue bar menu across top, click Edit Signature on list on left side of screen.

Also, is 'Backup Everything' a pretty good way to back up system + data without rooting? If so I'd like to suggest it to some of my non-rooted friends. I see you have that and 'MyBackup Root'... is this any better than Titanium in your opinion?
Actually, it's closer to Backup Everything than it is Titanium. Titanium is probably the best, most powerful backup option for Android. I really need to buy the full version.
Ahhh... 'Wallpaper Switcher', genius!!! I've been wondering if there was such an app out there, bravo. Seems simple enough perhaps, but this one has me all excited! I'm glad I looked through your apps! ;)
Yea, I have a folder on my SD card with about 15 to 20 wallpapers and switch them every 30 minutes. Love that app! It won't switch "live" wallpapers, but if I manually switch to one, it will switch back to one in the folder when the next 30 min.
Yes, anytime I see an App Brain "My Apps" link, I always see what other people have installed. As you've seen, it's a GREAT way to get ideas for app downloads.

Reactions: Outlaw71
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones