• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calendar notification does not turn on screen?

What do calendar notifications look like for you?

• I'm seeing the EXACT thing as you are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm running a stock HTC Sense phone, and my screen turns on when a notification occurs.

• I'm running a stock HTC Sense phone, and my screen does NOT turn on.

• I'm running a different Android rom (see my post), and my screen turns on fine.

• I'm running a different Android rom (see my post), and my screen does NOT turn on.

• I'm running a plain Android (see my post), and my screen turns on fine.

• I'm running a plain Android (see my post), and my screen does NOT turn on.

• Something else, see my post.

• Total voters

KlaymenDK

Android Expert
May 29, 2009
Denmark
Calendar notifications sound the alarm, but the screen remains black. When I receive an SMS, the screen briefly turns on to display the message -- it seems to me that the calendar should do the same thing.
(In any case, that's what I'm used to from my Palm, mumble-grumble! :eek:)

Is this normal behaviour, or have I accidentally set a dumb option somewhere? I've searched everywhere. Do I need a 3rd-party app, and if so, which one?

(And yes, it's usually me who's asking people to search, but if you search for "calendar" and/or "notification", it returns just about half the threads in this forum! :p:rolleyes:)

I suddenly have the same problem - except it is w/ my Incoming TEXT's not lighting up the screen (my calender and incoming phone calls DO light up the screen properly).
THE SCREEN REMAINS IN SLEEP MODE (BLACK), BUT MY RINGTONE DOES PLAY ACCORDINGLY.
It has been functioning properly for 2 years, until this week. I have tried reboot already.
No coincidence, I'm sure, that it stopped visually notifying me since I uninstalled "Handcent SMS" earlier this week. So, without re-installing Handcent, does anyone know how I could go about getting the screen to light upon incoming texts?

HTC Droid INCREDIBLE, model ADR6300
Verizon
2.1-update1
ROM Version (Don't know??)
Not Rooted

Upvote 0
I'm now using Jorte Calendar on a Desire Z running Cyanogenmod v7.1, and I'm still having the same issue as in my first post:

Calendar notifications do occur when they're meant to, meaning that the phone goes "pling" and/or "bzzt bzzt" and shows an entry in the notification bar -- but if the screen is not already turned on, the notification does not cause the screen to turn on and display the notification. There isn't even a little blinkenlight. So if you don't notice the initial notification, you'll never know you're running late for an appointment. :(

I know that the stock HTC Sense calendar does turn on the screen for this, but I'm not willing to put up with Sense for this one feature. :eek:

I have tried work-arounds such as Missed Call Reminder (market link), but it really does not meet my need.

• :thinking: What do calendar notifications look like for you? Please post your description, and what you're running.
  • :thinking: Has anyone got this working for Jorte on a custom rom?
Thanks,
Klay

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones