• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Call Dropping Three UK

Hi all,

First post on this forum and I'm asking for help, sorry guys, but thanks in advance for reading.

Ok, got a Hero on Three in the UK (build 2.73.771.62 CL#80033) and pretty much every call (made and received) drops between 30 secs and 5 mins in. I always have reasonable signal and can get 3G and HDSPA (if thats how you spell it?!).

I've tried turning the phone off, removing battery, removing sim, disabling wifi, gps and mobile data. Still no improvement. No problem with internet or messages. So I though I'd update the ROM to 2.73.771.73 from HTC. But I can't as continually get Error 170 (usb connection problem). So reinstalled HTC Sync, Drivers, restarted laptop and phone. No joy.

Obviously I've tried to ring HTC but my call drops, same with three customer services (although seem to last a bit longer then).

Anyone got any ideas? Tips? Tricks?

Any help will be great as I love the Hero, but at the moment its just a fancy gadget not a phone.

Doubt that it is a characteristic of the phone, as this is not a problem I have ever seen reported before here or elsewhere. So you either have a faulty phone or 3 have a faulty service. Either way it is down to 3 to sort it out - I would take it back and insist they sort it.

With regards to your Error 170 that may be due to a faulty lead - are you using the one that came with the phone?

Upvote 0
Cheers for your suggestions Peter.

I've literally just got off the phone with HTC and they were really helpful. I'm using Vista and I think it's all to do with the order you do things, they also made me update drivers through device manager although vista said they were currently up to date.

Then by turning off the phone, turning it on and connecting by usb. Activating HTC Sync on phone. Check drivers are functioning through Device Manager (no exclamation marks). Now run RUU. This is all what I was doing countless times before but it somehow worked just.

HTC said on the phone that this ROM is specifically for Three to ensure full functionality so hopefully no call dropping now (fingers crossed). Although it sounds like Hero and Three are experiencing quite a few weird problems but they seem to working to get them fixed.

Upvote 0
Cheers for your suggestions Peter.

I've literally just got off the phone with HTC and they were really helpful. I'm using Vista and I think it's all to do with the order you do things, they also made me update drivers through device manager although vista said they were currently up to date.

Then by turning off the phone, turning it on and connecting by usb. Activating HTC Sync on phone. Check drivers are functioning through Device Manager (no exclamation marks). Now run RUU. This is all what I was doing countless times before but it somehow worked just.

HTC said on the phone that this ROM is specifically for Three to ensure full functionality so hopefully no call dropping now (fingers crossed). Although it sounds like Hero and Three are experiencing quite a few weird problems but they seem to working to get them fixed.

I had an LG viewty on 3 before moving to hero on Vodafone. 3 was a nightmare for dropping calls and coverage. When I told them I was leaving they tried really hard to keep me and told me all these problems were sorted with the new phones. Told them I didn't believe them and seems they are still having problems.

Sadly my advise would be stay away from 3

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I have been looking around to find a solution to a call drop problem I am experiencing with my hero. I am on 3 italy, but I have seen that people in the uk are actually having problems with 3 uk too.
My radio version is the latest from stock 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 and the firmware is the latest too.
I did use the same hero in sweden on telia for few months and I never had this issue so it is probably the carrier.
My questions:
-did finally anyone manage to fix this problem?
- does anyone know if there is an update for the radio included in the coming release of 2.1 in march 2010?
thanks to all

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones