• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Caller ID, SMS and the wierd ways Android works.

Flumme

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2011
Sweden
This has me stumped! Posted in the Lounge, but no answers so far,, so I thought I'd try here as well.

My wife has her Caller ID blocked, using an unlisted number, so that when she calls the recieving phone says "Caller Unknown" or something like that, and her number won't display.

However, ChompSMS recognizes her text-messages as hers, and creates an ongoing conversation thread.

I have set up a Tasker Profile that raises the volume to max whenever she texts me, which also seems to recognize her. The same doesn't work when she calls.

How is that possible, and how easy is it to access this information? I mean, obviously the phone needs to remember which device it's talking to, but I thought that this kind of thing happened so deep in the OS that no app would be able to use that info.

Anybody who understands what I'm talking about? And able to shed some light on this?

TIA

This has me stumped! Posted in the Lounge, but no answers so far,, so I thought I'd try here as well.

My wife has her Caller ID blocked, using an unlisted number, so that when she calls the recieving phone says "Caller Unknown" or something like that, and her number won't display.

However, ChompSMS recognizes her text-messages as hers, and creates an ongoing conversation thread.

I have set up a Tasker Profile that raises the volume to max whenever she texts me, which also seems to recognize her. The same doesn't work when she calls.

How is that possible, and how easy is it to access this information? I mean, obviously the phone needs to remember which device it's talking to, but I thought that this kind of thing happened so deep in the OS that no app would be able to use that info.

Anybody who understands what I'm talking about? And able to shed some light on this?

TIA

Calls and sms work differently.. your number is always revealed when you send an sms. Try having her add *82 to the beginning of your number in her contacts and that should unblock her number only when she calls you, your phone should recognize it then.

Reactions: Flumme
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones