Calling from Europe to the US with Groove IP

1. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

Did anybody ever call from Europe to the US via the net using Groove IP. If yes, I have 2 questions:

Q1: Do you just dial the US area code and the number or do you first use the US access code - e.g. 001

Q2: Are there any special arrangements you have to make in Europe (Germany and France in my case).

I understand they charge 2 cents per minute. Is that correct.

My Grove IP on a Nexus 7 works perfectly well in the US but I have not yet had a chance to try it in Europe because I am still in the US.

Advertisement
    :
  2. eddieras

eddieras Well-Known Member

i used Groove IP this summer while in Europe -- worked great! no need for international codes or country codes when calling US from Europe. Just hook up to google voice and be on wifi. works great! i even received calls while on wifi. highly recommended. let me know if you have any other questions.
    whs37 likes this.
  3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

You just dial like this 1-234-456-7890, this number would connect you to numbers in the United States.

They don't charge anything over Wifi, it is completely free.
  4. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

I am a bit puzzled by having to dial that number first. When I use it in the US, I just dial the number I want to call - and the area code without the number 1 in front.

Can you please clarify why I have to dial above number first and what happens after I dialed it.
  5. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I guess I may have more questions once I am in Europe - which will not be so soon. But just one question - did they charge anything?
  6. eddieras

you don't need to dial the #1. you dial exactly the same way you do while in the states- nothing at all is different.
  7. eddieras

no charges at all--i used the free version of the app too. really worked perfectly. i was in england, france, switzerland, germany and italy. as long as i had wifi i was able to call the US...and receive calls from the US.
  8. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

That all sounds good. Right now I have a basic problem. Although I can call any number in the US, I cannot call my house in Germany. The call fails. I did use the 011 and then 49 for the country code followed by the Gernam area code and number as I would on a landline. Any ideas where to look.
  9. eddieras

10. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

11. eddieras

sorry - if all the numbers are correct i'm not sure... are there operators anymore? can you call your carrier and ask them??
  12. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

It is calling via the internet. I have no idea which carrier they use. Maybe it has something to do with credits in my Google voice account.
  13. Digital Controller

You won't get charged for outgoing calls, since it is going through GrooveIP not your Google Voice number.
    whs37 likes this.
  14. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

That's good to know, thanks. But I cannot get a call thru to Germany. I just get this message:

Attached Files:

15. Digital Controller

Have you checked out the FAQ like it says, maybe there is something you are overlooking...otherwise it could just be a GrooveIP issue so you might want to get into contact with their Devs.
  16. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

After checking the FAQ, I sent them an email. We'll have to see what they say.
  17. eddieras

they've been quick to respond...
  18. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

Here is the answer I got from Groove IP (as I suspected in post #12).

Now I have to figure out how to do that. I tell you, it is not obvious. The Google instruction correspond to nothing I see in my account.

Update: I found this handy app that makes it a piece of cake, LOL