• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Caltech awarded $1 billion+ from Apple, Broadcom

Take that, Apple and Broadcom! :eek:

"A Los Angeles jury awarded $1.1 billion in damages to Caltech — $837 million from Apple and $270 million from Broadcom.
Caltech filed the suit in 2016, alleging that Apple’s products — including iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple Watches and Mac computers — used Broadcom’s components, which allegedly infringed on Caltech’s patents."

I'm really pleased about this. Stealing, in any form, is not okay and, hopefully, this will serve as a warning to other companies not to do it.

On two personal notes:

I grew up a few blocks from Caltech, and would ride my bike or skateboard over there, then ride around the campus, which is beautiful. I wondered if I'd ever be smart enough to go there. :) Caltech bought our house--and the rest of the houses in our block--for student housing. (Ultimately, they razed the whole block, which included turn-of-the-century Craftsman and Victorian houses, and put up student apartment buildings. :( )

Caltech, if you don't know, is one of the most elite universities in the world, whose work with NASA, JPL, the USGS, and others, has impacted every one of our lives. And any time there's a significant earthquake, it's Caltech where all the news crews go for press conferences and information.

As for Broadcom... This hasn't been an issue for years now, but as a Linux user who had to manually force their infamous BCM43xx 'winmodems' to work on Linux laptops, YAY! :p Payback for all that collective time my fellow Linux users and I spent searching the Internet for just the right files, mucking about at the command line issuing cryptic commands, swearing at micro$oft for their shady business practices (today they embrace Linux!), crossing our fingers, rebooting our laptops...finally seeing the wireless light light up. I don't usually hold a grudge, but damn!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones