• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera Stops Music Playback

Galaxy S on 3 with stock 2.1 ROM.

When I'm listening to music on the default music player and activate the camera the music stops. If it paused I wouldn't be so bothered but it actually puts you back to that start of the track. A real pain if you're 45 mins into a podcast.

Is this normal Android behaviour or Galaxy S specific? Or worse - specific to me?

Thanks

The question would be have you ever used a phone that can accomodate both at the same time?

When you consider the power needed to potentially needing to read/write to your sd or internal memory at bitrates for HD recording, you realise that listening to music (at something like 128+ kbps) it is quite intensive for the memory subsytem. Coupled with the fact that your phone needs to be able to keep other important subsystems alive such as phone/system/ wifi maybe there are actually lots going on without properly multithreading.

So yes, considering the potential memory throughput involved, I do think it is quite a lot to ask.

Upvote 0
Then the iPhone has a superior design when it comes to this aspect.

Maybe the fact that it cannot use SD or external memory, it knows and can control the memory as it knows the precise perimeters of the system and allow for it to play music etc.

When you think possibly someone could be using a basic sd card, but someone else could be using a class 10 card, the memory capabilities of the 2 devices are quite different and is a large variables to consider.

Upvote 0
I have a theory, with most phones within the camera interface, you have the ability to switch between camera & camcorder. When recording a video, you have sound accompanied with the video, if music would be playing in the background, this would over-right the original sound your recording.

This may indeed be a fail safe that manufacturers have built into the phone to avoid having to code a workaround to disable the sound when camcorder has been activated, and re-active the sound when camera has been activated.

I tried the same test on my Maemo N900 which is heavy on multi-tasking ability and same scenario. The music pauses automatically (the music player is still running in a separate window) and when I closed off the camera the music player automatically played the song again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones