• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can a phone with a bad ESN be used for parts?

Michtifus

Lurker
Jan 10, 2020
Hi y'all. Ever drop your phone in the toilet! Well i. Did a few days ago. It worked afterward and didn't seem like any water got past the case of it so I thought maybe I'd dodged a bullet. But I was wrong! It lasted about an hour or two - just long enough to sync everything and then it was blank.
I called metro only to find out that I no longer had insurance on my phone! So now I have to buy one. I loved my stylo 3 plus but cant afford a new one. I've noticed some for sale on ebay that say "Bad Esn for parts only" and another that says it is in good working condition and unlocked but the sim card tray is missing.

So the question is... (1) How hard is it to replace a sim card tray?
And, (2) which parts on a phone with a bad esn CANNOT be used and what are the odds that a phone like that can be combined with a phone like mine to make a good, clean, working phone?

Reactions: racibennett

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones