• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can anyone get this screen diagnostic app to run?

Samsung developed and interesting app I would like to check out to see if it can diagnose the screen problems on the T/U but there are two difficulties

1. It requires root
2. It "Doesn't support all phones" and I can't get it to run

Is anyone having better luck than I am?

Samsung Smart Care Diagnostics

Runs on my rooted Sprint TU with stock ROM. I denied all root permissions it requested. Touch Screen test still works and when it gets flaky the Pres value won't go above 0.14 no matter how hard I press. When it's working right, the Pres Value is above 0.15 no matter how light I press. It seems to be measuring surface area of the touch more than pressure though.

Upvote 0
Runs on my rooted Sprint TU with stock ROM. I denied all root permissions it requested. Touch Screen test still works and when it gets flaky the Pres value won't go above 0.14 no matter how hard I press. When it's working right, the Pres Value is above 0.15 no matter how light I press. It seems to be measuring surface area of the touch more than pressure though.

says my phone isnt supported? how did u get it to install?

Upvote 0
I talkd to an agent and he said the usually "this is an unknown issue" and that carries are the ones who handle the updates.

DMajor, the truth of the matter is that Samsung reps are liars.

The carriers do not hire software engineers for anything other than network upkeep. They can, however, HOST the updates and patches. They do not buildtw the sofare upgrades themselves and they (carriers) do not have the tooling to reverse engineer the cellphones, that is the MANUFACTURERS job.

From the many email and phone calls that were sent to Samsung regarding this issue, i'm assuming Samsung doesn't have a "bug tracker" and their reps are only trained to respond to phone issues via 1. phone replacement at service center or 2. factory data reset.

The problem is that the reps that are being spoken to are ALL SAYING THE SAME THING "I've never heard of this issue" or "this is the first time we've heard of this issue.. we'll make a note of it" and NOTHING is getting done.

There's already a thread regarding the filing of a suit against them (in the same way Apple was taken to court over the antenna issues of the first Iphone 4), but without enough backing it won't happen.

Furthermore, at this point we are lucky the OS is Open Source and we have the kernel and source code to mess with ourselves. Thank your devs, and donate to them whenever possible because Samsung is useless for anything but the Galaxy phones.

Reactions: DMajor239
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones