• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I get a G1 and use it on t-mobile w/no data plan?

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
I have been using a windows smartphone on Tmoblie's prepay plan that doesn't have data. I eventually got everything to work, including the GPS, wifi, etc... without any data charges. (I was on the $15/mo plan with unlimited texting and 10cents/min phone).

that phone died so I'm shopping for a replacement and I'm wondering about the G1. I imagine some people are already doing this - using the G1 on tmobile with no data plan.

I'm wondering if I'm going to run into a lot of hurdles or if this will be pretty easy to do. I see some used G1 phones on ebay and I was thinking I should be able to buy one and just take my SIM card and stick it in there. Is it going to be that easy?

One thing in particular I'm concerned about is the GPS. I know Google maps comes on this phone but I don't like Google Maps because it requires a data or wifi connection. On my other phone I installed Garmin Mobile which worked great without a data connection (becase all the map files were installed on my phone). If I get the G1 will I be able to disable Google maps and install something like Garmin?

Any advice or tips will be much appreciated!

-gary in vermont

Hi Gary,

I don't see any problems with not using data, simply switch it off in the settings. I rarely use data on my phone as I am usually within WIFI range when I am at home or work.

I use an app called MM Tracker which uses GPS and reads 'QCT' maps that are saved to the sd card rather than downloading them

hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones