• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can i get a software upgrade?

Hi!

I got a brand new HTC Desire HD last saturday (26/2/2011) which was sim free and unlocked to all networks. When going into settings/about phone/software information it displays the following -

android version - 2.2
kernel version - 2.6.32.21 - gf3f553d
build version - 1.32.405.6 cl278359 release-keys
software number - 1.32.405.6
browser version - webkit 3.1

I assumed that it would have the latest software on it (1.72?) as it was a new phone. When I goto system software updates it informs me that there are no updates available... :thinking:

My question is, how can I get it upgraded to the latest version of the software?

Regards,

Alan

Hi!

I got a brand new HTC Desire HD last saturday (26/2/2011) which was sim free and unlocked to all networks. When going into settings/about phone/software information it displays the following -

android version - 2.2
kernel version - 2.6.32.21 - gf3f553d
build version - 1.32.405.6 cl278359 release-keys
software number - 1.32.405.6
browser version - webkit 3.1

I assumed that it would have the latest software on it (1.72?) as it was a new phone. When I goto system software updates it informs me that there are no updates available... :thinking:

My question is, how can I get it upgraded to the latest version of the software?

Regards,

Alan

The latest stable software OS is 2.2 :). 2.2.1 was a disaster, and has many many bad and annoying bugs, so it was pulled almost immediately it was launched.

However, the number you are talking about, the 1.72.xxx.xx vs. your 1.32.xxx.xx is only a serial for the actual "brand" software you have. This has nothing to do with the latest software releases in the sense that you think. Look at it as an ID tag of a car, or a state. It only identifies something, it does not have anything to do with an update. The "xxx.xx" can identify the version update of the "branded" software you have, but if you have 1.32 or 1.72 does not matter in this case.

I say "branded", because your phone is maybe not branded, but it is still regionally based. The software version listed there can have influence on some apps functionality, like in the market certain branded phones cannot access certain apps, etc. I got the exact same number as you, so I'm guessing it's a completely unbranded phone from northern Europe?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones