• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root can I re-root after 5.8.894 broke root?

You will need adb to do this. You can get the download here depending on your operating system. ADB

Download the follow file: it contains the exploit, su, Superuser

Download exploit -->Exploit.zip

1) Unzip contents of folder to your Desktop

2) open a command terminal and navigate to the folder (cd Desktop/Exploit)

3) type the following commands
---> adb push zerg /data/local
---> adb push su /data/local
---> adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
---> adb shell
---> cd /data/local
---> chmod 777 zerg
---> ./zerg

4) Wait for the root to be gained

5) type the following commands
---> adb shell (only type this if you are no longer in shell@targa)
---> mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system
---> cat /data/local/su > /system/bin/su
---> cat /data/local/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
---> chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
---> chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
---> reboot

This is from P3Droid.

Upvote 0
You will need adb to do this. You can get the download here depending on your operating system. ADB

Download the follow file: it contains the exploit, su, Superuser

Download exploit -->Exploit.zip

---> adb shell
---> cd /data/local
---> chmod 777 zerg
---> ./zerg

---> reboot

This is from P3Droid.
Exploit.zip leads to a website address...mydroidworld.com...is there something i'm missing?

Upvote 0
You need to have he Android SDK installed to use this manual method. Go to Android SDK | Android Developers to grab the appropriate SDK for your OS.

Once installed, if you add the path to \android-sdk\platform-tools to your OSs PATH statement then you can run the commands without having to actually change to that directory. Otherwise, after installing, you'll need to first change to the directory \android-sdk\platform-tools before performing these steps.

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0
I saw in another forum that there is a new 1 click root method to be able to get the new OTA rooted. I tried this myself after losing root once I updated and it worked for me. Now a couple of things.

*This method isn't guaranteeing everybody that it'll work for them. Some are saying that the new 1 click method didn't work but the OP on the thread said there might be another way if the 1 click method doesn't work right away.

*Since it's on another websites forum, the only way I know how to download this method and try it for yourself is to sign up to their site. Anyways, here's the link to the thread. I hope this helps.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/bi...5-updated-lost-root-1-click-root-working.html

Upvote 0
Why do you guys make it so difficult? All you need to do is use R3L3AS3DRoot to restore, root, and forever root your Bionic. And, POW! You will have a rooted Bionic once again, without D/L unnecessary software and typing commands. Props to DHacker.

Sometimes the one click does not work because of the timing between commands. You then have to do it manually and wait for each command to go through before performing the next command.

Upvote 0
You need to have he Android SDK installed to use this manual method. Go to Android SDK | Android Developers to grab the appropriate SDK for your OS.

Once installed, if you add the path to \android-sdk\platform-tools to your OSs PATH statement then you can run the commands without having to actually change to that directory. Otherwise, after installing, you'll need to first change to the directory \android-sdk\platform-tools before performing these steps.

To expand upon this, as it is quite obtuse for someone who does not know how to do it, I'm adding this post.

Once you've got your Android SDK installed / extracted, there are two ways you go about using the tools.

• The easiest, for those not using the tools often, is to simply open cmd prompt, navigate to the Android SDK folder (installers will see it at either C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk for Windows x64 users or C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk for Windows x86 users), then go to the subdirectory platform-tools, and then run your commands, like so:

View attachment 25825
  • The other method involves adding the path (the full directory of that particular location) to an environment variable in Windows called the Path statement. This basically means that you can just open a cmd prompt anywhere and use the adb command without having to change the directory every time.

There are 2 different methods to accomplish this and multiple reasons to pick one or the other.
    1. If you use a computer with multiple users, or you do not have administrative rights on your computer, then you can add the path statement to your user variables found as follows:

Note: Only your login will have this path statement, and only when you when you log in, no one else will, and it does not require root..er, administrative privileges to add.

• Open Control Panel --> User Accounts and Family Safety --> User Accounts

View attachment 25826
      • Click on Change my environment variables (left margin) (highlighted in yellow) to get the next dialog box:

View attachment 25827
      • Under User variables for {your user name} Press the New button (highlighted in yellow) to get the next dialog box:

View attachment 25828
      • In Variable name type in
        Code:
        Path
        and in Variable value type in (you can copy here and paste there to make it easy):

Code:
        C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;
    2. If you are the only user on your computer, or you have administrative privileges on the computer and want to make this a global addition to all users (so that ANY user that logs in can open a cmd prompt anywhere and run adb commands) then you add to the existing path statement under System variables:

Note: ALL users on this computer in this OS will have this path statement and will be able to run adb and other Android SDK commands from any command prompt. Use with care.

• Open Control Panel --> System and Security --> System or Shortcut key Windows Key + Pause / break

View attachment 25829
      • Click Advanced System Settings (highlighted in yellow) to get to the next dialog box:

View attachment 25830
      • Click the Environment variables button (highlighted in yellow) to get the next box:

View attachment 25831
      • Under System variables scroll down to Path and the click the Edit button to get the next dialog box:

View attachment 25832
      • In the Variable value field, click anywhere, and then hit the END key on your keyboard to go to the end of the long path value - you will probably see it does not end in a semicolon, so first add a semicolon (;), then add the following (you can copy here and paste there to make it easy):

Code:
        C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;
      • It should now look something like this:

View attachment 25833

Now your system variable is set up.

HTH

Upvote 0
Sorry for my newbiness, but I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.
1. get Android SDK installed (done)
2. get exploit and extract to desktop (done)
point CMD to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk (done)
and then to platform-tools (done)
plug in bionic (in fastboot)
and proceed with the aforementioned code

---> adb shell
---> cd /data/local
---> chmod 777 zerg
---> ./zerg
---> reboot

This is from P3Droid.

reboot phone.
or do i run the code simply after I plug it in to my computer? (after cmd is pointed in right direction)

2 questions after this
will this give me root with existing programs and data on phone or will it wipe it to factory with current kernel and radio

will I have forever root after this procedure?

Thank You for all the work being done here and is there a way to donate?

Upvote 0

---> adb shell
---> cd /data/local
---> chmod 777 zerg
---> ./zerg

---> reboot

This is from P3Droid.[/QUOTE]

Hi there,
I'm a total newbie here so forgive me if this is redundant. I have done all the command prompts up to the adb shell then I get this command prompt "shell@cdma_targa:/$" I try to type in the next prompt which is the "cd /data/local" and it won't go through. It is stuck at the shell@cdma...
How do I get through the rest of the process? I'm basically just trying to root the phone since Verizon is giving me no options and my phone is basically unusable right now.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sometimes the one click does not work because of the timing between commands. You then have to do it manually and wait for each command to go through before performing the next command.
+1000 to this. R3L3AS3DROOT failed and failed and failed for me trying to root my phone. Based on some comments I read in various posts here, I went into the .bat file and manually added PAUSE steps between the rooting steps and now it works like a charm for me.

Upvote 0
Hey John - any way you could lend a hand?

Im running win7 64 bit and trying to root my bionic 2.3.4.

Ive tried Pete's, easyRootScript and R3l3AS3DRoot and haven't had luck with any. The OneClick told me it was successful but it wasnt. Below is the issue Im having. Am I just stuck with an OS update that is going to make it impossible without a new exploit? It is in debug and charge only, im a little lost and thinking im SOL on this one.

Thanks,

Ted

C:\Users\ted\Downloads>cd Exploit

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit>cd Exploit

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>adb push zerg /data/local
855 KB/s (22776 bytes in 0.026s)

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>adb push su /data/local
1085 KB/s (22228 bytes in 0.020s)

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
1401 KB/s (754980 bytes in 0.526s)

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>adb shell
shell@cdma_targa:/$ cd /data/local
cd /data/local
shell@cdma_targa:/data/local$ ./zerg
./zerg
./zerg: permission denied
./zerg
./zerg
./zerg
./zerg
shell@cdma_targa:/data/local$
C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>

Upvote 0
+1000 to this. R3L3AS3DROOT failed and failed and failed for me trying to root my phone. Based on some comments I read in various posts here, I went into the .bat file and manually added PAUSE steps between the rooting steps and now it works like a charm for me.

Actually, since most of the commands are adb commands, the best thing to do is to insert
Code:
adb wait-for-device
in between commands - this, as it says, waits for device before allowing the next command to process. This has been documented many times, and even in this thread earlier, IIRC.

The Pause commands are entirely dependent upon the user, and if the user presses any key too quickly, the same thing will happen anyway.

Hey John - any way you could lend a hand?

Im running win7 64 bit and trying to root my bionic 2.3.4.

Ive tried Pete's, easyRootScript and R3l3AS3DRoot and haven't had luck with any. The OneClick told me it was successful but it wasnt. Below is the issue Im having. Am I just stuck with an OS update that is going to make it impossible without a new exploit? It is in debug and charge only, im a little lost and thinking im SOL on this one.

Thanks,

Ted

C:\Users\ted\Downloads>cd Exploit

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit>cd Exploit

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>adb push zerg /data/local
855 KB/s (22776 bytes in 0.026s)

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>adb push su /data/local
1085 KB/s (22228 bytes in 0.020s)

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
1401 KB/s (754980 bytes in 0.526s)

C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>adb shell
shell@cdma_targa:/$ cd /data/local
cd /data/local
./zerg
./zerg
./zerg
./zerg
./zerg
shell@cdma_targa:/data/local$
C:\Users\ted\Downloads\Exploit\Exploit>

It sounds like the files are already there and it is failing when trying to run itself - because maybe it is partially rooted. the best approach here is to try to delete those files (if you can) from he locations you copied them to and then start over.

I'd also skip all the one click stuff now and go with the manual method listed in the sticky (go to the depreciated (should actually be deprecated) section.

Reactions: SNeitzel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones