• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can i turn stock sms off and just use handcent?

james_uk

Android Enthusiast
May 27, 2010
I have just tried handcent for the first time, i have always just used the stock sms.
I have also recently started using custom roms as i had never rooted before, currently i am using andyx v12 which is very nice, i just dont like the colouring of the sms and wanted to use handcent instead.

i know i am to turn notifications off in the stock sms but i have noticed if i go into the stock sms even all the texts from handcent are in there which makes me feel i am running 2 processes for the 1 thing and dont want to do that.

for some strange reason there is an option in handcent to make it the default sms which i ticked, yet texts still go in both.

anyway is there a way to remove it or is it required to run handcent, could i just go in to apps in the root folder and rename the sms app and would handcent still work fine?

james

You can remove the stock one, just remember to enable handcent to handle sms & mms "all" (in applications settings)

0c1a9e82-6ee1-9a5c.jpg
And Root Uninstaller (free-in play store)
Or Titanium Backup (not free, also in play store) will do so

Edit-I have done so on several devices, with no ill effects, but make a backup before trying (of the apk and/or your system)

Upvote 0
The Mms.apk file is not good to remove, nor rename. It's like the brain to the phone's SMS system, without it you could have/run into problems. It's not taking up more or less memory because of both apps displaying the same messages.

That's how it works with my phone anyways.

Upvote 0
They are just reading from the same data files. It doesn't mean they're really both running. How on a PC, you can open the same folder on two windoes. Its similar to when you can open one file with VLC player, and then later, while VLC is still running, you can open the same file with KMPlayer.

Somewhere in your phone are the SMS data, then when you open Handcent, it reads the contents of your data. When you open the stock SMS app, it will also read that same data.

Reactions: lexluthor
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones