• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I update an LG Splendor without carrier?

I gave my granddaughter my old LG Splendor and dumped US Cellular. She uses it to play games and stuff with just WiFi.

Because she has an older version of android (I think it's ice cream sandwich, but not positive til I see it again) she's unable to download a lot of games now. So I was wondering if there was anyway to update her phone to at least kitkat?
(obviously not worried about lollipop yet)

Does anyone know how and if this can even be done?

Thanks in advance!

So, need some more advice from you guys... I contacted LG and they told me that this particular phone can only go up to ice cream sandwich and there are no updates available.

So, my question now is, I've read about rooting, never done it, looks a little scary, but I know if I found good instructions, I could do it, but I'm wondering if I did root this phone, could I then put kit kat on it?

thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
So, need some more advice from you guys... I contacted LG and they told me that this particular phone can only go up to ice cream sandwich and there are no updates available.

So, my question now is, I've read about rooting, never done it, looks a little scary, but I know if I found good instructions, I could do it, but I'm wondering if I did root this phone, could I then put kit kat on it?

thanks in advance!
It's possible if there are custom roms based on KK available for it :)

Edit: did a little searching for LG Splendor and roms etc....not finding much at all. :(
Still looking though..

Edit again: I did find some links for installing KK for your device, but I don't know if I trust those sites...never heard of them.

still looking....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones